Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuse Size Question

3 posters

Go down

Fuse Size Question  Empty Fuse Size Question

Post by Chrisj357 Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:34 pm

I have a Ford 302 in my MX. I put in a one wire alternator (long story) I put an inline fuse from the alternator to the battery. So I had a slight grounding accident.  Bottom line it started to melt the wire to the alternator but didn’t blow the fuse. I don’t think that fuse is protecting the alternator.

It’s a 100A fuse.

My question is, if I go with a smaller fuse. What Amperage would be right?

Chrisj357

Back to top Go down

Fuse Size Question  Empty Re: Fuse Size Question

Post by Hotrod Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:44 am

Charging circuits are generally protected by fuseable links.  They are a short section of small diameter wire with special insulation that will not burn.  The link is sacrificial and designed to burn in two if you get a short.  They are sized 4 numbers smaller than the wire they protect.  Example:  A 10 gauge wire gets a 14 gauge fuse link.  You position the fuse link where if it melts it will not burn anything else since they do get hot. Think of them as a very slow blowing fuse.

Common practice is to put them next to the alternator but being a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to electrical protection I usually put one at both ends of the main charging cable.  This is because that is generally the only circuit that could be fed power from both ends.

They can be a pain in the butt to change but they are the absolute last line of defense against a torched car. And fiberglass cars don't end up well in a fire.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Loren Tungesvick, Jerry & Lisa Mills and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:28 pm

You need to run a fuse that's sized the same or slightly more amps than what your alternator is rated to put out. You also need to use the appropriate size wires for the system. It sounds like your wiring to the alternator was too small if it was melting before the fuse blew.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Loren Tungesvick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisj357 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:48 pm

AHSebring64 wrote:You need to run a fuse that's sized the same or slightly more amps than what your alternator is rated to put out. You also need to use the appropriate size wires for the system. It sounds like your wiring to the alternator was too small if it was melting before the fuse blew.

I’m not sure of the amp output. But the wire is 8ga. Fuse is 100A

Chrisj357

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:59 pm

If it is a one-wire alternator then it is most likely an aftermarket alternator and I'd be surprised if it puts out less than 100 amps. You should be able to see a Mfg name or model number that you can Google to see what size alternator it is. An 8 ga wire is probably too small; see chart:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisj357 Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:08 pm

AHSebring64 wrote:If it is a one-wire alternator then it is most likely an aftermarket alternator and I'd be surprised if it puts out less than 100 amps. You should be able to see a Mfg name or model number that you can Google to see what size alternator it is. An 8 ga wire is probably too small; see chart:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I looked up the number on the alternator. It’s 63Amps

Chrisj357

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:57 pm

I'd put in a 75amp fuse (and replace the melted wire) and that's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Chrisj357 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisj357 Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:07 pm

AHSebring64 wrote:I'd put in a 75amp fuse (and replace the melted wire) and that's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes.

I’ve replaced the wire with slightly melted insulation and the 75A is what I was thinking as well. Thanks

Chrisj357

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down