Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel & Tire Size

4 posters

Go down

Wheel & Tire Size Empty Wheel & Tire Size

Post by Ron W Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I need to get wheels and tires for my Sebring. If has a Ford 8" rear with leaf springs, disc & manual rack & pinion up front. It has 5 lug x 4.5. Any idea what size wheels and tires will fit without issues?

Ron W

Back to top Go down

Wheel & Tire Size Empty Re: Wheel & Tire Size

Post by bwdz Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I don't know what will fit without issues but with some issues I managed to get 315/35/17s under the back and 275s on the front. Looks mean as hell.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron W Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the reply! Can you share a photo?

Ron W

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 pm

My 5000 had leaf springs before my rebuild.  The leaf itself and the rear section of the interior insert were the limiting parts on my car.  I can't find my old notes, but it seems that I recall that there was only about 6" from the outside drum face (wheel mounting surface)and the leaf spring.

The rear of the interior section is just about the same distance as the leaf spring.  While the leaf spring moves with the tire, the interior section doesn't.  If one side of the axle goes over a large bump, the top of the tire will actually tilt in at the top.  This will cause it to contact the interior section if it's very close to the spring.

My car was fitted with 14" x 6" wheels when I got it.  As I recall they had about a 4 1/4" back space.  The tires were 205/70's.  They stuck out from under the fenders about a 1/4".

I think you will be limited to about a 245 width with the leafs, unless you don't mind a lot of tire sticking outside the fender.  The main problem is the wheel.  About a 7" width is going to be about the max in the rear if you want to keep everything under the lip of the fender.  The actual overall wheel width of any wheel is going to be approximately 1" wider than the listed width.  The 7" wheel will be closer to 8" outside to outside.

The MX version of the Sebring can apparently get away with a lot more tire.  Some claim that the MX body is wider than the 5000, but I have never heard of this being proven.  I think it's more due to the 4-link and coil suspension not interfering as much.

FWIW - This is one of the main reasons I changed my rear suspension. It looks like I'm going to have to add small wheel tubs in the interior section, too.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron W Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for all the info!

Ron W

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Tungesvick Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I got 255/60/15 from my MX under my Sebring, There was some tire sticking out, but the height (27") was ok. Mx flare is 2" wider on each side.

Loren Tungesvick

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron W Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Perfect, I wanted to go with 15's. Thanks!

Ron W

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down