Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch cable/assembly

5 posters

Go down

Clutch cable/assembly Empty Clutch cable/assembly

Post by sky25t Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:57 am

Hi all,
I have a 302 ford.... it has a cable clutch and i think the cable is about to break..... the pedal box is definitely ford... It is a factory built car..... does anybody have any idea on what model of car the clutch cable came from or even better, part numbers ???????
I'm up for rego in 3 weeks and it wont pass if i cannot drive it for inspection....
Remember I'm in Australia so i have some shipping time to allow for as well......
I will be adding to my postings with an update shortly but work has sort of make my spare time minimal....
Regards from Australia
Robert
sky25t
sky25t

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Clutch cable/assembly Empty Re: Clutch cable/assembly

Post by ArthurBNH Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:49 am

You can purchase those from many sources in the US including Summit Racing which has excellent customer service.   Just make sure it is for a 1974-1978 Mustang II V8.
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:23 pm

Hi Robert,
yeah - been there - twice. Finally got it right after a lot of work and pre internet research. Ford had a couple part numbers for the originals in the V8 cars, but all the aftermarket cables are the same for 1975-78 and are 53" long. If you can't find one in your time frame, there are possible options once you get the old one out.
I was able to get one made at a place that did speedo, industrial/agricultural, PTO control and such cables. Lasted quite a while. When it started to seize up again, i took it off and lubricated it with graphite powder. This is easy to do once you remove the coil spring by unscrewing it off the cable. Well, that didn't fix it for very long because the inner sheath was deteriorated from too much heat as it ran right by the headers. The next new cable got covered with high heat exhaust wrap. That was the fixer. Been on there for years. Every oil change i unhook it at the fork end and check for free movement.
The other weird thing to check is a proper ground cable form chassis to engine. I didn't have this problem, but if you don't have a really good ground cable, electricity will seek a ground through the clutch cable and burn it up.
While it probably doesn't meet your time frame, converting to hydraulic is a lot of work, but others have done it.
Good luck either way and please let us know how it goes.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 am

Thank you all, the cable started to grab about 4 months ago and i just managed to get it home and into the garage..... i have not had time to look at it at all........hoping to get time next weekend to pull it out..... might just have to buy it online anyway... i have been told of a company locally in sydney that can make it as well so i do have options......
About changing it to hydraulic.... its on historic rego so i cannot modify it (at least not visibly) i would love to fit a sniper carb.... but if i get caught they would deregister my car..... risk i am not willing to take.
Regards Robert
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurBNH Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 am

I just did a hydraulic conversion with parts from speedway it works pretty great. In order to get the clearance I needed had to used floor mount pedals for both the brakes and clutch. Parts were about $500 US
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Jimboquick, Jerry & Lisa Mills and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:16 am

Hi all, Well its been over a year since i parked it in the garrage..... then i got very busy with work.... bummer.....
I pulled the clutch cable out last week to find it is in perfect condition..... After some head scratching i decided to put it back in and made a discovery........ the firewall was almost fully broken around the fitting that holds the clutch cable in place as it passes through and the plastic fittingwas broken as well....... what to do???
Looked at ford parts and did some image searches both in Australia and the USA..... no luck......
A friend of said "why not make it"💡💡💡 thinking about.... it would be easy to machine up on a lathe..... my lathe is a myford ML10 (a baby one). So i now ha a 76mm piece of 6061 T6 with a machinest friend to machine up for me and i will make up some larger plates to go on either side of the firewall to give it more support
To sum up the fitting was moving enough to allow the swagged filling to catch on the entry of the firewall fitting, i should have it back together in about a week if work does not get in the way.....
Regards Robert Australia
sky25t
sky25t

Hotrod and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:02 am

Pictures? Your solution might help someone with the same issue.

Nice that you found the issue and got it fixed.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:53 am

Pictures when i get all the bits back from my machinest friend....... 👍👍
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:56 am

Hi all.....
Well in amongst work commitments i finally got my machined part and now have to start carving the OD to fit the outside of the firewall...... a job i will start tonight...... photos of the offending part attached and I'm going to get the clutch cable copied at a shop near me before it goes back in.......[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:58 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sky25t
sky25t

Jerry & Lisa Mills and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:25 pm

I converted mine from automatic to manual.  After completing the swap, I noticed the firewall flexing due to the force exerted by depressing the clutch peddle.
I added a piece of 1/4” steel plate in the engine compartment, sandwiched between the firewall and brake booster. I also added a brace attached at the top of the plate that runs on an angle down to the frame.

Hopefully I can add photos that will illustrate better than I can explain.
(By the way, writing comments using an iPad really difficult for me.)

Egordon1475

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Egordon1475

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:09 pm

Hard to see because of very poor lighting in that area, but the steel plate extends past where the clutch cable passes through the firewall. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The clutch cable and adjuster mounted on the firewall/steel plate are identified in yellow.
Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Egordon1475

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:45 am

Hi all,
Well i got it all back together and it works very good...
New alluminium fitting on engine bay side of firewall and load spreading plate on inside next to pedal box.....
My advice is no matter if cable or hydraulic, keep an eye on the the firewall as the forces are very similar and the firewall is not very strong compared to a steel one
sky25t
sky25t

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:51 am

Sorry pics did not attach[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sky25t
sky25t

Jimboquick, egordon and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down