Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unusable Clutch Issue? V6 4 Speed

2 posters

Go down

Unusable Clutch Issue?  V6 4 Speed Empty Unusable Clutch Issue? V6 4 Speed

Post by ArthurBNH Wed May 04, 2022 3:40 pm

Because the clutch peddle was really hard (on a V6 4 speed) we replaced the cable and also decided the clutch was pretty worn and engaging at the top of the pedal.   We discovered part of the issue was the cable was catching underneath on the frame and corrected that.   Getting a new clutch kit was pain as there is only ONE source for 2.8 V6 clutches in the US!  

After install we now have a new issue that even the clutch company and my mechanic have never heard of before.  The clutch is adjusted and engages at the right place on the pedal but it also comes back so hard it almost "throws" you off the pedal.

Have any of you experienced anything like that?

We are stymied!

Last edited by ArthurBNH on Mon May 09, 2022 5:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Unusable Clutch Issue?  V6 4 Speed Empty Re: Unusable Clutch Issue? V6 4 Speed

Post by David V. Wed May 04, 2022 10:05 pm

I'm not sure about your exact setup, but I have experienced something similar on a mechanical clutch (as opposed to a hydraulic throw-out bearing) when the throw-out bearing was mounted the wrong way around on the clutch fork. That was on a small-block chevy though, could be a lot of other factors on a different engine/trans/clutch combo.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurBNH Thu May 05, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks David

The only part of the clutch and linkage that is not stock would be the pedal if it were shortened (I cant tell for certain but I think it was) I am wondering if those with a shortened pedal have experienced anything similar.
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurBNH Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm

The clutch is still unusable and after numerous tries to fix it and some great advise form board members my mechanic and I have determined that the new clutch parts are correct and have been installed properly but the pedal has been shortened and it is also in the 4 cylinder position in the clutch bracket (2.75 inches lower) which is out of position for the V6 and there is no room to move it to the correct position and the pedal itself has been shortened about 3 inches causing a problem with the clutch leverage and control of the clutch.  

So we are fabricating an hydraulic clutch installation in the hopes that it will give us adequate control of the clutch.  I will let you know how it works out.
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Jimboquick and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down