Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window Regulator Help Needed

Go down

Window Regulator Help Needed Empty Window Regulator Help Needed

Post by duxforme Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 am

Hi All,

My Saxon’s donor car was a ‘72 super beetle so as you can imagine, most of its components are VW, including the window regulators. Unfortunately, my driver’s side reg is slipping internally when cranking (it’s not slipping at the handle gear) so I’m in the process of addressing the issue. I’ve ordered a new replacement from Jbugs (online beetle/bug components) and from what it sounds like I’m fortunate that my car doesn’t have the unobtainium Chevelle regulators.
The reason for the failure of the reg is two-fold.

1. I believe that the builder did a crappy job with the window guide installation which lead to  too much friction as the window rolled up and down leading to the gear mechanism inside the door to slip. (This issue still exists and I want to fix it)

2. Because of the tiny door geometry the regulator had to be bent at angles that resulted in more resistance than it seemed the regulator could smoothly function at, especially when combined with the crappy window guide install.

Does anyone have any experience with their build where VW regulators were used that
can shed any light on how you bent them to fit without adding too much resistance? Bending the channel has a pinching effect on it causing the restriction in movement.
Or...
Does anyone have a page or two out of the Saxon assembly manual that covers the door window/door & regulator instructions you could share with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

David

duxforme

Back to top Go down