Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed!

4 posters

Go down

Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed! Empty Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed!

Post by mwaxman Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 pm

I am trying to register by classic Roadster Sebring in California. In order to do so, they are asking me to PROVEE that it was built as a kit (not purchased assembled from classic). while I have the assembly manual, and the verbal confirmation from the second owner, I have no documents on the original build. Is there any way - based on inspection or model number, to prove that it was not assembled in North Dakota? A registry? a different number or something that would designate that it was a kit?
mwaxman
mwaxman

Back to top Go down

Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed! Empty Re: Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed!

Post by David V. Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am

Hmm interesting question. As far as documentation, I'm not sure (being Canadian and all). If it was affixed with a VIN plate from any other state than North Dakota, it would mean the builder essentially built and registered it in that state (again...define builder..., classic could have legally sold you everything except the engine and you might have stuck an engine in it yourself and are therefore the builder).

If the previous owner has any photos of the build process or of the car partially assembled that should be more than enough proof

The other question is, if it's the first time the car is VIN plated, it can't have been sold by classic since they went out of business years ago. If it's not the first time, then it's since become a legal vehicle in the U.S. and is just being moved to another state?

As far as visual differences. The Sebrings made by classic roadsters all had automatic transmissions and ford 289 or 302 engines. They also had a very particular style of wooden dashboard that you may see if you watch the original classic roadsters promotional video in the forum archive. They would also have used only parts from donor vehicles and not aftermarket parts or parts from unlisted donor vehicles (E.g. my car has a flaming river steering rack, aftermarket control arms, a ford maverick differential instead of a mustang II diff, a small block chevy engine, and the frame is galvanized instead of powdercoated (something CR didn't do)).

One of the other members should be able to tell you if CR-made cars had a specific plaque or identifier, I would assume they do. CR built cars are a small minority, it should be the DMVs job to prove it was manufactured by CR, not the other way around. You don't stick a plaque saying built by David Serial#1 on it when you finish a project at home. Nonsense
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed! Empty Re: Classic Roadster - manufacturer built or kit? help needed!

Post by mwaxman Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 pm

thank you SO much! there is one KEY fact in here that may solve it: "the Sebrings made by Classic Roadsters all had automatic transmissions and ford 289 or 302 engines"...is there any reference that you know that says that? mine is manual with a 350...so that proves it wasn't made by them...…
mwaxman
mwaxman

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:19 pm

I know it more from talking with people who bought their kits directly from the factory at the time, and from seeing various Sebrings listed for sale. However this screenshot from the Sebring options list might help you out. The full document can be found in the database section if you scroll down far enough.

In my opinion, what the DMV would really like to see though is receipts for the purchase of the kit package (versus the higher price of a turn-key car), and other receipts for individual parts of the build. Though I'm guessing you don't have access to those. Might be worth reaching out to the seller.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Let me know how it goes! And congratulations on your purchase Very Happy
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mwaxman Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:34 pm

youre right, the guy I bought it from is second owner and has none of the build docs. but...you MAY hve solved it....the parts list showing that the completed vehicle has an automatic transmission MIGHT just be the proof! thank you
mwaxman
mwaxman

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 pm

No worries! If I were you I'd go through all the build manuals and advertisements and options lists we have in the database, so that you have more than one document to show them.

Also if you were lucky enough to.... find some pictures of a red Sebring in the process of being built...there's always a chance it could have been yours…. There are quite a few pictures that date back to the old yahoo group who's owners have since sold their cars... you never know...then you could check back with the original owner to see if they are indeed pictures of your car of course..
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 pm

I have seen some pictures of cars that had VIN plates that said Classic Roadsters. I'll dig through my pictures and see if I can find one.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinjohn Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:57 am

I bought my Sebring in new Jersey and had to license in California.
It was a nightmare but I finally got it done as a "Specialty Vehicle:. Which is now forever smog exempt. When you license go for "body style" as a 62 Austin healey. If you don't and your engine is "newer" you may have to smog it regularly. In any case, if you continue having troubles, I have a person in Northern Ca who deals with this sort of thing and she did wonders in getting me through the "process".
If you want her contact, let me know through this post and I will connect with you.
John

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down