Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body and Doors assembly

3 posters

Go down

Body and Doors assembly Empty Body and Doors assembly

Post by rascal115 Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 pm

I have a Sebring 5000 MX
I installed the front and rear clips using clamps and the dimensions in the manual.
I notice that the rear tires are not even close to be centered in the wheel opening. If I center the tires in the wheel openings, I end up with a gap between the rear of the doors and the rear clip of 3/8 & 1/2".
I would appreciate any feed back.
Thank you
Bart
4-13-2019

rascal115

Back to top Go down

Body and Doors assembly Empty Re: Body and Doors assembly

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Welcome to the real world of non-production cars.
This is true of almost every kit car AND almost every production car through the seventies. Nobody was measuring panel gap with calipers.
I would agree that 3/8 to 1/2 is a lot in door gaps, but it's not much in center of wheel in the opening.
I'd bet you a dollar to a donut that you wouldn't even notice it unless it's at just the right visible angle.
All 4 of mine are off 1/4 to 3/8 and different on both sides. In 16 years of driving and showing it. NO ONE has said a thing. It just doesn't matter.
There's always a way to fix it if you really feel it's necessary. If you assemble it and check before bonding, you'll find all the differences - then decide what route to take.
Just my .02 cents

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal115 Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi Jerry
Thank you for the information, it really helps. It appears I move the body parts here and there and all is good.
Thank you
Bart

rascal115

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 am

Well that was fast. Congratulation. cheers

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Tungesvick Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 pm

My MX has been measured and plumb bobbed for hours with no answer. Body measures right and frame has been laser aligned. Right side is off, 5000s are right on. I notice it on MXs that are listed for sale. It troubles me, but no one has ever mentioned it at shows or races.

Loren Tungesvick

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal115 Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Hello Loren
Thank you for the information. You're right about the body not being right, the rear clip is 1/2" different from one side to the other, measuring from the front of the wheel well to the front of the clip. I'm going to try and adjust a little here and there and hope I can get it close enough, then close my eyes.
Thanks again.
Bart

rascal115

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down