Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

roll up windows

4 posters

Go down

roll up windows Empty roll up windows

Post by phydeaux Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:23 pm

the windows i got from an 86 chevette appear to have way more than the indicated 77 degree angle on the front edge. the assembly manual shows glass that looks as if it came from a rear window. any info on the roll up glass source?
thanks

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

roll up windows Empty door glass

Post by Hermn8r Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:36 pm

rockauto.com

Hermn8r

Back to top Go down

roll up windows Empty roll up windows

Post by phydeaux Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:37 pm

thanks - i found a package of tinted windows in the pile of parts....i am impressed by the "stuff" that comes with the kit

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

roll up windows Empty Re: roll up windows

Post by rawshealey Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey phydeaux, could you get measurements on the side glass? i do not have any glass and could use the size so i could get some cut. Thanks

rawshealey

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm

i don't have a way to measure the angles and radii.
17 3/8 measured along the rear angle top to bottom. 21 7/8 measured along the top. radius about 1/2 inch at both top corners. radius about 6 inches at front bottom. i can trace and them if you like - but my scanner is not big enough to scan the trace....

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 pm

All of the glass in the car is just flat 1/4" safety plate (at least mine was).  I had to replace a door glass in my car right after I got it.  Very common at any glass shop that deals with architectural glass.  Comes in clear and various tints.  You will need a pattern, but the shop can cut it to fit your pattern.  Best to use something like 1/4" plywood for the patterns since it is close to the glass thickness and it won't warp easily.  Fit the pattern well because the glass will be exactly like it and is difficult to fit after it is cut.  I.E. - removing small amounts can only be done by sanding after the initial cuts.  Be sure to get the edges sanded to a soft curve, otherwise it will chip or crack very easy.

You have to use safety glass to keep the shards from getting loose if it breaks.  Most modern factory cars have safety glass for the windshield and tempered glass for the sides and rear.  You can't really cut tempered glass easily.  One wrong move and the entire glass sheet will disintegrate into a million tiny pieces in about a second or less.  Safety glass can be safely cut, though, if you know how.

Cutting regular safety glass to fit is standard procedure for restoring antique cars.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:31 pm

i traced it on some vinyl - but it would have to be a "pattern" there is nothing to give you "data" in the sheet.

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down