Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll bar for Austin Healey Sebring

2 posters

Go down

Roll bar for Austin Healey Sebring Empty Roll bar for Austin Healey Sebring

Post by mktrjs3 Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi-Looking for sources to buy a roll bar for 1987 Austin Healey Sebring. Any ideas much appreciated. Rich

mktrjs3

Back to top Go down

Roll bar for Austin Healey Sebring Empty Re: Roll bar for Austin Healey Sebring

Post by Hotrod Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Unless you can find someone with an unfinished kit or one just laying around, it's going to be a make it yourself proposition.

Anyone with a good tubing bender and the correct bending dies, should be able to pull it off.  If you know any racer types or possibly car clubs, ask if anyone in your area does NHRA roll cage work.  They should have the tools to bend one up.

As you may already know, the Sebring frame has tabs on the side over the rear axle that were intended to attach the roll bar mounting brackets.  One of the tabs is the rearend bump stop bracket.  There are slots in it.  At least that's the way mine was done.

However, in order to make a truly functional roll bar, you would need to add some diagonal braces that angle down to the chassis rails as far back as practical. A single tube high enough to protect your head would just be too weak to depend on. Look at a typical Jeep roll bar to see what I'm talking about. I think the original Classic Roadsters roll bars were mostly just for looks. The ones I've looked at appear to be too weak for protection.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jimboquick and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mktrjs3 Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Hotrod-thanks for the informative reply. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Rich

mktrjs3

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down