Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll bar ideas?

5 posters

Go down

Roll bar ideas? Empty Roll bar ideas?

Post by bwdz Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 am

I paged through the gallery and only saw 2 cars with a roll bar installed.  I really like the one with the 2 hoops.  I just think I would feel better with something surrounding me.  Anyone else have a nice roll bar installed.  I thought about incorporating the aluminum roll bar hoops from a 1st gen Audi TT roadster or something similar to the one on my Porsche Boxster.  I also thought about having some roll bar extending forward from the rear to the front providing some side protection but that may make it difficult to get in and out of the car.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Roll bar ideas? Empty Re: Roll bar ideas?

Post by Hotrod Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm

bwdz wrote:I also thought about having some roll bar extending forward from the rear to the front providing some side protection

I too want to install some kind of roll bar for the same reasons as you.  Be careful with any forward extensions.  Without a helmet, hitting a roll bar in an accident can be as dangerous as a hammer to the head.  I'm installing Mazda Miata seats that have a headrest and plan to keep the roll bar behind the headrests just to keep my head off the roll bar.  Roll bar padding will help, but usually isn't nearly thick enough.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Roll bar ideas? Empty DOM roll bar

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:58 pm

bwdz wrote:I paged through the gallery and only saw 2 cars with a roll bar installed.  I really like the one with the 2 hoops.  I just think I would feel better with something surrounding me.  Anyone else have a nice roll bar installed.  I thought about incorporating the aluminum roll bar hoops from a 1st gen Audi TT roadster or something similar to the one on my Porsche Boxster.  I also thought about having some roll bar extending forward from the rear to the front providing some side protection but that may make it difficult to get in and out of the car.

I have a dual hoop roll bar in my Sebring 5000. Was fabricated by a guy that builds circle track cars. It's DOM and welded to the frame. He only melted a little bit of fiberglass. In 2003 it cost me $700. Looks great with my high back Corbeau seats.
The top just barely clears when folded down and is too low meet the requirements
for racing (except track days). Can PM pictures tomorrow if you want. It's a snow day for us here in Portland, Or. where idiots can't drive and block the road.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:49 am

I would be interested in those pictures. I'm still looking for ideas. Most of the pics I've found are of the single roll bar. I kind of like the dual hoops though.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:21 am

I would love to see those pictures as well. Somehow I would just feel a little better having some steel around me rather than just some fiberglass. As for snow, that's why I got the snow tires on my TT, plenty of AWD fun but we got close to a foot last weekend and the lowered TT just kept scraping the floor pans so I had to wait a day. I do have adjustable Bilstein on there so I could raise it but it's not slammed so even bringing it up an inch would not have helped.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotuo Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:31 am

I just removed the roll bar that came in my car. It was just the right height for me to smack my head on it in the event of a rear end collision. Not to mention a bit of an eye sore.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sotuo
Sotuo

Jimboquick and Hotrod like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JP77 Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:38 pm

Sotuo wrote:I just removed the roll bar that came in my car. It was just the right height for me to smack my head on it in the event of a rear end collision. Not to mention a bit of an eye sore.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I’ thinking of removing the roll bar as well. It is right in the back of my head and I don’t think it adds anything structural to the car. How are your seatbelts attached? I have 3 point seatbelts and will likely have to get lap belts. Did you have to change anything besides simply removing the 4 bolts and pulling the roll bar off?
JP77
JP77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotuo Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:46 am

I have lap belts. The roll bar came of relatively easy and I just filled the holes with nice black bolts that blended well with the carpet.
Sotuo
Sotuo

JP77 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Had these installed. About 22 years ago cost $700.
DOM steel welded to the frame. Just melted a little
bit of the fiberglass. Luckly, these have not been field tested.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Hotrod and JP77 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down