Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator question

3 posters

Go down

Radiator question Empty Radiator question

Post by volksnut Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:55 pm

Helping my brother out with a cooling issue on his Cavalier kit (yes I know it's not a Sebring) It's an older build around 1998 so I don't know if some parts were new or oem takeoffs. He said the temps are a bit high on the freeway at around 220. He had his mechanic do a flush and change the thermo to a 180 degree and added some water wetter, are you all running shrouds, this one is running a 16" puller, the weird thing is the side tank has a bung welded to it for the heater hose....Anyone know why?

Last edited by volksnut on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

volksnut

Back to top Go down

Radiator question Empty Re: Radiator question

Post by volksnut Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

volksnut

Back to top Go down

Post by volksnut Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

volksnut

Back to top Go down

Post by AH1960 Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 am

is your top radiator hose higher than the radiator cap? if it is the problem might be an air lock in the system.
AH1960
AH1960

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:52 am

Does the car run cool at low speed and idle and overheat at highway speed or is it hot all the time?

If it's cool at low speed with the fan on, but overheats at higher speeds, that wold indicate an airflow problem.  I see 2 things that might cause this.  First, there is a opening in front of the radiator at the top.  That area should be closed off, otherwise the air can just go over the top of the radiator.  

The second issue is related to the first.  The radiator is tilted back at the top and it has an AC condenser mounted in front of it.   With the rear tilt, the fins in the condenser may not be getting a "bite" on the air and it's acting as block.  The air basically is hitting a ramp that may be causing it to be forced over the top.

Also, if the air can't get out, it's not going to go in.  A lot of high speed heating problems a related to insufficient airflow either in or out.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by volksnut Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:47 pm

Those are some good points to look at. I see my brother tonight so I'll ask him about idling temps but I think it's only at high speed.

I though about the opening in front also, and noticed the tilt. What radiator are you all using?, and is it straight up and down....this could be the only one the builder found to work at the time?

We thought about vents on the side of the fenders and something on the hood top?

I'll have to check on the height of the hose in relation to the radiator, the shop he took it too should know how to burp it?

volksnut

Back to top Go down

Post by volksnut Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Well I asked him tonight and it was diffidently running 240 at the traffic light, cools down driving around a bit.

volksnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down