Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator Outlet configuration

2 posters

Go down

Radiator Outlet configuration Empty Radiator Outlet configuration

Post by rossakin Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Can someone tell me what type of fitting is used to modify a Chev radiator to clear the steering rack. I have about 2" maximum distance from the radiator tank to the rack. I can't find a source for outlet couplings that might offer some options. I cobbled up a rubber and aluminum pipe hose but it hangs so low that it will get scrubbed off.  I am considering moving the outlet up 2" on the side of the tank but don't know what that will do the to cooling capacity and again can't find a source for the coupling.
Any help will be appreciated.

Ross

rossakin

Back to top Go down

Radiator Outlet configuration Empty Re: Radiator Outlet configuration

Post by David V. Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 pm

Every radiator I've had (2 so far) have required having a rad shop weld a bit of pipe upwards to clear the steering rack. You can see it on this picture from my build thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Although I'm not happy with the welding job the rad shop did and will eventually get it re-done, you get the general idea. The angle inwards (towards the center of the car) will depend on your radiator width (mine's a 24''). In my case it was 15 degrees from vertical. The angle upwards I asked them to make it as tight as they can while still being able to get the welder in there. Make sure the bit of pipe you have them use is collared at the top so that the rubber hose seals right.

Good luck!
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rossakin Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Now to find a capable shop and piece of pipe.

rossakin

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:52 pm

The shops will have the pipe in stock, or will be able to order it. The trouble is finding a shop that won't botch the job (as they did on mine). There ended up being not much clearance for mine because of the sloppy welds. The photo above is after I filed down the welds to make them cleaner. Instead of that ugly block-off plate they could have just bent a tongue of metal upwards from the original. Still angry about it as you can see. They charged me around 90$ if I remember pale
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down