Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear End Swap Question

4 posters

Go down

Rear End Swap Question Empty Rear End Swap Question

Post by benbaker316 Fri May 31, 2024 11:04 am

Hi, new to the forum. Recently purchased a Saxon built by Steel Roadsters. Car has ford 2.8l v6 with 4 speed trans and chevette rear end. Looking to swap out to a 5 speed and a 8.8 or 9 inch rear end with coil over shocks. My question is does anyone know the purpose of the differential adapter that is part of the original build. All my googling shows results for heavy vehicles. From the build manual "Secure the differential adapter to the differential with the 4 bolts which previously secured the torque tube to the differential." If I swap out to new rear end is this part still required?

benbaker316

Back to top Go down

Rear End Swap Question Empty Re: Rear End Swap Question

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Fri May 31, 2024 4:56 pm

Hi Ben, welcome to the Forum.

Haven't seen a Saxon with a Chevette rear and it's not in my build manual, but it sure seems like you won't need it. With a different rear end, transmission, drive line and suspension there is nothing to "adapt".

Hopefully, some Saxon owners will chime in here.
Finding a doner rear end in the correct width will sure make it a lot easier.
And...in an effort to save you some time and money...unless you're running 400 plus horsepower and 10" drag slicks, you sure don't need an 8.8 or 9 inch. (just my .02 cents.)

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Fri May 31, 2024 11:46 pm

Hello Ben,
I don't know if your car was built like mine? My Saxon was built in 85 with all chevette running gear, it had a torque arm bolted to the center of the differential housing and spring pockets on the end of the axel tubes. I ended up with a Ford 8.8 rearend. I narrowed it 8", 4" per side that allowed me to use an 8" 0 offset rim. A 6", 3" per side might have been a wiser move. I agree with Jerry, If you are going to an 8.8 or a 9" you will need to narrow it, also thats probably going the easiest part of the project, you will have to cut out the old suspension and relocate the shocks on the frame, you will also need to figure out how your shock/trailing arm mounts are going to work.
But thats what makes it fun... Saxonford.
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by benbaker316 Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:12 am

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm looking for the best option. But it needs changing.

benbaker316

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:25 pm

Ben, I think the part in the manual described as "the adapter" might be the part the Torque Arm is bolted to? The F-body camaros used 8.8s with a torque arm - they also have disc brakes - this might be a good choice for you? it would allow you to use your existing torque arm and trailing arm mounting points on the frame. Just some food for thought. Saxonford
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:10 pm

Correction: The 3rd and 4th generation F-body camaros used 8.8s with a torque arm.
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:02 pm

Sorry, but the 8.8 is a Ford rear. The F bodies used mostly 7.5 GM corporate rear ends.

I
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:25 pm

Opps... I admit I have only a passing acquaintance with these, I was just trying to come up with rearend that used a torque arm to help Ben.
my apologizes to Ben and everyone else. Please ignore my posts. I defer to Hotrod.
Saxonford
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:49 am

Hey, don't let me chase you away.  Didn't mean to offend.  Just trying to pass on good info.  I was in a hurry when I posted that and didn't intend for it to sound harsh in any way. Apologies if it did.

I know there were Saxons with Chevette running gear but have never seen one.  A few pictures of the current rearend would be helpful.  

Just a guess but it sounds like CR might eliminated the torque tube in favor of a conventional drive shaft.

FWIW - GM did make an 8.5 rear and it is possible that they were installed in some higher horsepower F bodies.  I know some S10's had the 8.5 and they were fitted with disks. Very few cars were ever fitted with torque arms.  The F bodies are the only modern cars that come to mind.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jimboquick and SaxonFord like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by benbaker316 Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:54 am

Struggling with posting pic. bottom line in needs to come out. There is evidence of it striking the body. someone in the past even cut a small piece out to try and prevent the hitting. Thinking of going with 7.5 rear end from a mustang II. The engine is out of same .

benbaker316

Back to top Go down

Rear End Swap Question Empty torque tube pic from build manual

Post by benbaker316 Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

benbaker316

Jimboquick and sky25t like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:00 pm

Ben,
My conscience won't let me stay out of this discussion, seeing the picture reminded me of my car. My car was built like the one in your manual, with a 2 inch square tube frame. I hope your car was built with the larger rectangular frame. If you have a 2 inch square tube frame you should perform this test. Support your frame on jack stands just in front of the rear wheel, so that the back wheels are off the ground. Place a 2x4 on end on the frame just behind the gas tank and slowly jack up the back of the car and look at the door gaps just behind the door handle. I you see a lot of movement it means your frame is weak and you may have more the just a rear end problem.
Good luck, Saxonford
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Back to top Go down

Post by benbaker316 Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Checked and my frame is 3x2 rectangle. Have to ask, what did you do to correct your issue?

benbaker316

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:38 pm

I'll answer that for SaxonFord. It might sound like he's bragging, so I'll do it for him. He fabricated a really super cool tube frame that strengthened the whole car.
Here's a link with pictures.
This is very beneficial IF you're running a bunch of horsepower.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:44 pm

I'm glade to hear you have the better frame. I welded a 3-1/2" x 2" U shaped section along the bottom of the frame. I have change almost every thing on my car.
Saxonford
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down