Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What length steering column?

4 posters

Go down

What length steering column? Empty What length steering column?

Post by Bespoken Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:47 pm

I'm to the point in my build that I'm looking for feedback from those that have installed tilt steering columns. I'm looking at Flaming River and Ididit floor shift columns. Am I correct in my understanding that 30" is the "standard" length for our cars? FWIW, my rack is a power unit. The input shaft is 3/4“ / 36 spline. I know there are countless adapters so not anticipating an issue there. 
I'm wondering about column length, mounting, and sealing at the firewall. Also wondering if anyone has installed, or seen, the "roadster" style in our cars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

What length steering column? Empty Re: What length steering column?

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:41 pm

Can't answer your column question but your roadster question sound like it could be a fun thread.
The way you state the question kinda implies it was a version or option from Classic Roadsters. If so, then no, never even heard of that.
Otherwise, yes, but there's a broad definition of a roadster. I believe it's always topless, one- or two-seater only and totally built for speed and cornering.
One of the better examples i've seen is in a recent post from SaxonFord. It includes a frameless windshield and some subtle body mods.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:25 pm

Cool! I didn't know there was such a thing.
No, what I was referring to is a catchy marketing term FR uses...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bespoken
Bespoken

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:14 pm

A 30 inch column seems too short. Take a look at Flaming River's custom order diagram and measure your car taking into account where you want the steering wheel to end up and the amount of column that protrudes into the engine compartment. I ordered my FR custom tilt column at 38 13/16" long.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:31 pm

Some additional info/considerations: FR's "roadster-style" column uses a 5 1/2" bell shaped transition to the tilt mechanisim, all of which would have to extend out from the dashboard. Since I'm 6' and the seats don't go very far back I needed the steering wheel to be as far forward as posssible. Therefore I used the standard tapered shape cone transition which allowed me to bury some of its length behind the dash face. My column only extends 4 1/2" out to the wheel. The typical column drop is attached to the factory underdash bracing and the floor mount is their swivel mount. Very straightforward installation.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:31 pm

AHSebring64 wrote:A 30 inch column seems too short. Take a look at Flaming River's custom order diagram and measure your car taking into account where you want the steering wheel to end up and the amount of column that protrudes into the engine compartment. I ordered my FR custom tilt column at 38 13/16" long.

Thanks for that! I came up with 30" because the build manual says the MII donor car's steering column can be used and I know it measures 30". I was thinking that was too short. Yet another build manual misdirection.  Rolling Eyes
Thanks too for the tip about FR's custom column diagram. I didn't know that was a thing. I'll be sure to look. I too am 6' so I'll be needing something of similar length. You give a good description of the differences between the roadster column and the standard. Sounds like the roadster column would look like a Q-tip sticking out of the dash.  Laughing
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JWyatt Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:10 am

Just out of curiosity
What is your height? as I had the same question

JWyatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down