Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ????

+2
Hotrod
Bespoken
6 posters

Go down

In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ???? Empty In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ????

Post by Bespoken Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:01 pm

So as I'm beginning my build, I'm getting more familiar with my kit and its contents.
Although I was told by the PO that it was complete, I continue to discover missing components.
My most recent discovery is that the fender bead is missing.
This is the narrow aluminum trim strip that runs the entire length of both sides of the front and rear clips.
I have the original packing list which states that there should be 4 of part number 2007 “Bead, fender"
I have more mounting screws than it calls for, but no bead. Does anyone know a source?
Thanks in advance for any help.
-Scott
Bespoken
Bespoken

Back to top Go down

In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ???? Empty Re: In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ????

Post by Hotrod Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:44 am

I hope you can find some.  I bought some off of someone on the old Yahoo forum many years ago and haven't seen any more since then.

If you can't locate any, it could be made, but it wouldn't be easy.  It is just aluminum tubing approximately 1/4" in diameter that has had a flat milled on it.  The flat extends into the inside and leaves a slot.  If you know someone with a milling machine (pretty much any kind), they could set up a simple jig to make some.  It would be time consuming for sure, but very doable.

You might be able to locate something similar at one of the various companies that sell aluminum extrusions. I've never searched for anything like it, though. Often, these companies will have a catalog of standard extrusions, but will also often have minimum amounts to purchase.

Once again, good luck.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Bespoken likes this post

Back to top Go down

In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ???? Empty Re: In search of source for fender bead: missing from my kit! ????

Post by AHSebring64 Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Check out "mcmillanrodandcustom.com", they have 1/4" half-round polished stainless steel molding that might work for you.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Thanks for the info AHSebring64 and Hotrod. I really appreciate it.
I saw the stuff at McMillan. While it is polished stainless, it's not hollow so it would have to be drilled and tapped for each of the MANY mounting holes. At $25 / foot, before tapping. I will save that option for last.
The more I look, I'm starting to think the custom milling route will be the way to go. I can get a 25' roll of 1/4“ aluminum tubing on Amazon.
I've got the grill slats and they apparently are made out of the same material. They actually mic out at 5/16“ but I think the 1/4" would work.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick and sky25t like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby C Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:07 pm

Thanks Ive literally been trying to do the same thing with some silver collored plasitc tublng right now but im thinking the aluminum or stainless option is much better

Bobby C

sky25t likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:47 am

I was lucky enough to be able to acquire a full set of the CRL beading from a forum member. My backup plan was to get Austin Healey reproduction trim from Moss Motors. At one point I contacted their customer service requesting dimensions. This is the reply I got...

Thanks for contacting us. We don't have that fender bead material in bulk, we buy the beads as finished pieces with the clips. The 021-810 is 61" long and the 021-820 is 67" long.

Take care,

Don Green
Sales Representative
Moss Motors
Phone: 800-667-7872 / 805-540-7450
Ext. 7450
Bespoken
Bespoken

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:24 pm

I don't have it with me right now, but I'm going to try taking a picture of the spare trim I have and running it through the google lens app to see if I can find a source.
Will let you know if I find anything.

There are companies making extruded aluminum trim that could probably whip some up as well - what you're looking for is rounded aluminum extrusion with a T-slot.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:39 pm

David V. wrote:I don't have it with me right now, but I'm going to try taking a picture of the spare trim I have and running it through the google lens app to see if I can find a source.
Will let you know if I find anything.

There are companies making extruded aluminum trim that could probably whip some up as well - what you're looking for is rounded aluminum extrusion with a T-slot.
I have the grill slats, which are made from the same material. I tried the Google lens trick to no avail. I spent all my free time for 3 or 4 days researching but came to the conclusion that the beading would have to be custom-extruded if the Moss product didn't work.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Bobby C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby C Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:48 pm

I also need enough of the beeding for each side of a front clip wfat i was thing about doing was to take 1/4 or 5/16 aluminum tubing and cutting a slot out of the bottom of it out on a table saw and slideing the heads of '# 4 machine screws into the center of the tubing and through the slot tu fasten through the seams of the fenders but i cant find any Pollished aluminum tubing Any thoughts?

Bobby C

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:02 pm

Alternatively you could get full aluminum rod, drill it, weld the bolts in and smooth the bolt heads.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bobby C wrote:I also need enough of the beeding for each side of a front clip wfat i was thing about doing was to take 1/4  or 5/16 aluminum tubing and cutting a slot out of the bottom of it out on a table saw and slideing the heads of '# 4 machine screws into the center of the tubing and through the slot tu fasten through the seams of the fenders but i cant find any Pollished aluminum tubing Any thoughts?
In my online searching I learned that it is possible to create beating from tubing but you have to be mindful of how the saw cut affects the bead profile. If you simply cut a slot down the center, the bead will have a round profile and appear to perch on top of the fender. Another issue is finding a blade that is just the right width for the groove. 
From what I read, the preferred method is to slice the side off of the tubing by running on a table saw using a jig you'd have to make. Forgive the crude drawing I made, but maybe it will help illustrate.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick and Bobby C like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:42 pm

If I were doing this without a milling machine I would use the table saw method.  

Using a blade to slit the groove would require a very thin blade.  I'm not sure such a blade would even be available.  They are made for milling machines but the cheaper ones are too small and the large ones are very expensive as well as having large center holes.

If I was using a table saw, I would experiment with a dado (sp?) cutter and a wooden jig.  I would set this up to shave the bottom portion off of the tubing leaving the groove that you need.

Of course the bottom of the jig would have to have a stepped floor to support the tubing after the bottom is removed.

Let's say the tubing is 5/16 od.  Take a hardwood board and cut a 5/16 wide rabbet down one side 3/4 deep.  Cut a 7/16 x 5/16 strip for the in feed side.  Brad nail and glue this to the in side leaving a 5/16 groove 7/16 off the table.  The dimensions of the out feed strip would have to be determined through trial and error, but would be taller than the 7/16 in feed.

Also, on the out feed side you would need a couple of pins that fit the groove left in the tubing.  This would prevent the tubing from rotating and keep the groove consistently lined up on the bottom.

The thing sounds complicated but really is simple.  Once the jig was made, it probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes to make more trim than you would need.

The aluminum the original parts are made of is pretty soft, probably extrusion type alloy. 6061 would be overkill.  Something like 3003 should be good enough and easier to form.  Even though the tubing is available in rolls I would use straight sections.  Getting the rolled stuff straight enough to use will be a real chore.  I have a tubing straightener for 3/16 tubing.  It does a good job of straightening tubing for brake lines, but what you need is very straight sections.  Any deviation from straight will be very noticeable.  FWIW - The original CR trim came in straight sections.  

I have a couple of pieces of extra trim but want to keep them as spares in case I ever need them.  I would be happy to measure the exact dimensions for you.

I hope this made sense.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Bespoken and Bobby C like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby C Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:58 pm

David V. wrote:Alternatively you could get full aluminum rod, drill it, weld the bolts in and smooth the bolt heads.
Definatly easier ways to go about it though

Bobby C

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wjcoates Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:23 pm

Bob
Are you still looking for fender bead.?

Wjcoates

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Nope. I got real lucky. A member on here had all 5 pieces from a kit he's putting together.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down