Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new scooped hood from Monrob22

2 posters

Go down

My new scooped hood from Monrob22 Empty My new scooped hood from Monrob22

Post by Hotrod Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 pm

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of the new scooped hood I bought from Monrob22.  

I had a scooped hood that I bought off someone on the old Yahoo site.  Unfortunately, when I went to fare out the glued seams for painting, I discovered that it had been bonded together wrong.  Whoever did it used fiberglass resin with no cloth, mat or fibers of any kind, just the resin and it was crumbling out in chunks.  Some parts were stuck together well, but other areas separated with little effort.  Since I intend to make the scoop functional, I was afraid that air pressure between the halves would cause them to blow apart at highway speed.  I might have been able to repair it, but it would have to been completely separated and it would have been heavily damaged in the process.  So, I decided to buy a new one since they are available.

A couple of pictures of the old hood:  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I could have opted for a hood that was already bonded together, but instead chose one that had not been glued up.  There is a top and bottom section.  My old hood also appeared to have been glued together in such a way that it was distorted and didn't quite fit the contour of the fender.  Hopefully, I can glue this one up better.  I also wanted to glass in some metal backing plates for the hood hinge bolts before I bond the sections together.

The hood sections I received  look good.  The gel coat is smooth and I didn't find any air pockets in the glass layup.  The sections fit my hood opening properly, too.  Overall, I'm satisfied that these parts will make a usable hood.  I will be using modern fiberglass bonding epoxy to glue the sections together.

The new hood:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It wasn't cheap, but that doesn't surprise me.  The fiberglass materials are expensive and getting more expensive all the time.  There is a lot of work actually prepping the mold and laying up the glass.  Monrob22 deserves to make some profit off his investment, too.

I urge anyone wanting a scooped hood to contact Monrob22.  Unless you find someone parting out an old kit, there is no other source.  He has the last molds that Classic Roadsters used.
Hotrod
Hotrod

David V., Jerry & Lisa Mills, Monrob22 and duxforme like this post

Back to top Go down

My new scooped hood from Monrob22 Empty Re: My new scooped hood from Monrob22

Post by Monrob22 Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 am

Glad I could help Hotrod! And thank you for the kind words! Don't forget to send pictures when done.

Monrob22

http://Monarchcustomcabinetry.com

Back to top Go down