Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of remaking the scooped hood.

5 posters

Go down

What would you pay?

Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_lcap33%Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_lcap67%Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 4 ]
Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_lcap0%Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. Empty Thinking of remaking the scooped hood.

Post by Hotrod Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 am

I'm wondering if remaking the scooped Sebring hood for sale would be viable proposition. I would be willing to check into it, I don't think it's going to be a cheap undertaking. Trim is going to take the most effort.

The hoods most likely would require painting. I doubt the original gel coat colors could be duplicated close enough to match.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. Empty Re: Thinking of remaking the scooped hood.

Post by David V. Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:37 am

Good initiative HotRod! I'm sure quite a few people would be eager. I cast my vote at 750$ or less (hopefully less), but for that I would not expect a finished hood. I think the ideal would be to be cost-effective by having them all made in grey gel coat (they need some sort of gel-coat to protect from UV) and also with minimal trimming and finishing. Anybody installing one could then trim it to fit well on their particular car before paint (Eg: I don't like the gap at the top of my hood). The chrome hood grille could be sourced from Victoria-British LTD.

However, all that being said, I already have a hood and do not need another one, so it's probably best to let the others weigh in. Any good boat shop should be able to pop a mold of one. I could myself if I had a spare hood I was willing to risk and (ahem) time...

Oh also don't forget they are double-skinned, and if you're going to do it anyways, might as well make the hood scoop functional.

Just my two cents
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking of remaking the scooped hood. Empty Re: Thinking of remaking the scooped hood.

Post by flyinjohn Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:49 pm

well with only 3 votes, I'm not sure how much volume could be generated to make this feasible!
I did check out hood grille parts from Victoria-British. Are those the same as what was used on the kits?
They would work anyway, On my trip back from New Jersey I found a 3000 original on Route 66 at Seligman. The hood is about 3 inches narrower than the Classic Roadster, but I see no reason why the scoop wouldn't work.
BTW trip went fine; Corvette suspension, engine and drivetrain seem to work great! The Doug Nash overdrive on back of the T-10 4 speed delivers 7 forward speeds and works great. Not sure why they got some bad press, but I clock 82 MPH at 2100 RPM..the valves probably won't float on this built LT1 till 6k or so ..SO I think stuff would start blowing off the car before top end could be reached! Had the drive belt disintegrate, a radiator hose blew and some wiring issues with the radiator fan... but really a couple hours in a NAPA parking lot got everything fixed and found stock parts right off the shelf! more later....

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinjohn Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:12 pm

I found a fabricator who can make the scoop type hood. He needs a hood to make a mold. We would have to decide on a scoop itself. While we may be able to find a few Classic Roadster scoops, I think a readily available scoop from say Moss would be better for future availability.
SO bottom line is about 1200 to 1500 for the molds (both top and bottom sections) and about 300 bucks a pop for the hoods. Add the scoop trim for about 120 bucks...I would supply my own hinges and latch and stay bracket...they would incorporate those into the fab..SO about 450 a hood (plus molds) ready for prep and paint. The fabricator is Superior glass works in Oregon. They are very experienced in this sort of thing.. In addition to their glass and composite business...they build .. replica car bodies and chassis..So we need a hood and as many folks as we can muster to split mold costs.. (6 guys would be about 700 bucks a hood each) .whadaya think guys?

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Keep me in the loop. I would love to have the scoop hood on my new replica

Kevin

Back to top Go down

Post by aronhk_md Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:37 pm

I am actually considering putting the MX 5000 back into production. I have access to the old classic roadsters sebring/mx 5000 molds. All of them. Trying to determine the feasability of such a venture. Yes, this includes both types of hoods. And the hard top.

If folks here are interested in either a hood, top or both let me know. I'm not quite sure yet what the price point would be for either, but my guess is it will be a little more than the price mentioned above. My guess is each piece may come in at $1000-$1400.

Having a known quantity of pre-orders for those pieces might allow me to run a production batch of just those items...well before the car itself goes back into production.

Its not my desire to price gouge anyone, but I have to be careful not to promise some lower amount. A company like the one mentioned above is likely getting massive discounts on resin and fiberglass. If anyone has looked lately, neither of those is cheap. And the hood and top were not some thin, flimsy piece.

aronhk_md
aronhk_md

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down