Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end

3 posters

Go down

4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end Empty 4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end

Post by Brickwall2 Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:25 pm

Guys....Do I need to replace the calipers if I buy the 5 lug rotors for the front end and, what length 28 spline axles do I need for my leaf spring ford 8 inch rear........and do I need new drums, backing plate etc to make this conversion on the rear end...?
And should I go 5x4 1/2" or 5x4 3/4"

Thanks in advance (I know, lots of ?s)

Brickwall
Brickwall2
Brickwall2

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end Empty Re: 4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:34 am

Why would you want to do this ?

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end Empty Re: 4 Lug to 5 Lug conversion....M11 front end

Post by Bespoken Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:15 am

I did this and it's quite the rabbit hole.
The front conversion, as it sounds like you've already discovered, is pretty simple. You will have to replace the calipers.
The MII rear axle is a different story. It's unique in that it's tapered, unlike any other Ford 8" rear axle. It's also very short. Because of this you'd have to have custom rear axles made with the proper size bearings, which can get pricey. IIRC Quick Performance can make them, along with some other online places, or you can try a driveline shop near you. I bought my Sebring still in its "kit" form and since it wasn't very far along I ended up swapping out the MII rear for a Maverick 8" rear. The V8 Maverick came from the factory with 5 lug drums which I then converted to disc.
Why do this? For me the answer was twofold: I wanted rear discs and, more importantly, because 14" wheel choices in 2024 are near non-existent.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick, sky25t, Jerry & Lisa Mills, SaxonFord and Brickwall2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Brickwall2 Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:20 am

Bespoken
Great info thanks.....Is the Maverick 8 inch rear end the same width as age M11 rear end..?

Brickwall
Brickwall2
Brickwall2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:03 am

Brickwall2 wrote:Bespoken
  Great info thanks.....Is the Maverick 8 inch rear end the same width as age M11 rear end..?

Brickwall

The Maverick rear is more narrow by 1/2".
The MII rear is 55" backing plate to backing plate. The Maverick is 54.5".
I'm running 255-60-15s and this 1/2" difference wasn't an issue.
What was an issue was that the leaf spring peaches were different between the two and the Maverick leafs were far too long. I had to carefully grind the perches off both axles, then reweld the MII's perches on the Maverick axle. I was mindful of maintaining proper pinion angle when doing this. I also dropped in new bearings and a Yukon gear LSD while I was at it.
I just got the car roadworthy a few weeks ago and it all seems to have worked out really well.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick, sky25t and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down