Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood adjustment

4 posters

Go down

Hood adjustment  Empty Hood adjustment

Post by Jon47 Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:21 pm

Trying to adjust the hood gaps. The back edge at the hinges is the issue. In getting the equal gaps all around the hood, the back edge will hit when opening. I’m trying a couple things with the hinge, wondering if anyone might have a suggestion.

Jon47

Back to top Go down

Hood adjustment  Empty hood

Post by Loren Tungesvick Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:56 pm

My hood was crooked at purchase and spent a long time getting to where you are now. I just live with the sound when opening, has not changed in 10 years. Think I ground off the lip a bit before quitting.

Loren Tungesvick

sky25t and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Hood adjustment  Empty Re: Hood adjustment

Post by Jon47 Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:26 pm

I to have just lived with it, but I’m now in the process of adjusting the radiator placement and with that need to move the front hood latch , so though I would attempt to gap the hood placement as it should be. Might have to find different hinges if I can not get these to work.

Jon47

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:58 pm

Had the same issue, but mine was due to the hood being too low at the cowl. You didn't mention that particular problem so hopefully this might help.
Left hinge in the photo and both needed to be shimmed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Jimboquick and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon47 Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:01 am

Trying to adjust to get reasonable edge gaps . When I have the hood centered with equal gaps all the way around, the back edge will hit when opening the hood. One of the issues is that the hinge attachment point on the passenger side is much lower than the driver side. It had about a one inch shim. Currently modifying that hinge to raise it up. The original gap at the back was about 3/4 “ so the hood would not run when raising the hood.

Jon47

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:39 am

Holy crap - that's a lot.
Have never seen one that bad.
So, do you have to reposition the hinge in the firewall ?
That's not going to be fun.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon47 Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:12 am

I hope not having to reposition the hinge in the firewall …. as you said, that would not be fun. Currently I’m modifying the hinge so it can move upwards in the existing location.

Jon47

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon47 Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:19 pm

Well it has been a while, working on other things. I have found a solution to my hing issue. I found a hinge at Sachse Rod Shop. They list it as “Bilt-Rite “ hinge. It is a scissor that separates the hood while pivoting. I had to do some modification to it, got it mounter and works great and no rubbing. I’ll try to send a photo.

Jon47

sky25t, Jerry & Lisa Mills and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon47 Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jon47

Loren Tungesvick, Jimboquick, sky25t, Jerry & Lisa Mills and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:29 pm

Love the more modern custom look of that hinge. Does it open just as much as the previous Mustang hinge?
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon47 Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:04 pm

I currently have it attached to the existing hood support, but with a longer support would open much further. I’m considering installing gas struts, but they are a pain to select the right compressor ratio.

Jon47

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down