Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a new hood

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a new hood Empty Looking for a new hood

Post by Joe Yannone Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:16 am

Hi all,
I am looking for a non louvered hood, the type with the hood scoop in it. If anyone has a lead on one please let me know.

Thanks!
Joe Yannone
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joe Yannone
Joe Yannone

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new hood Empty hood with scoop

Post by flyinjohn Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Joe,
I posted this in the thinking of remaking the scooped hood. what do you think?

I found a fabricator who can make the scoop type hood. He needs a hood to make a mold. We would have to decide on a scoop itself. While we may be able to find a few Classic Roadster scoops, I think a readily available scoop from say Moss would be better for future availability.
SO bottom line is about 1200 to 1500 for the molds (both top and bottom sections) and about 300 bucks a pop for the hoods. Add the scoop trim for about 120 bucks...I would supply my own hinges and latch and stay bracket...they would incorporate those into the fab..SO about 450 a hood (plus molds) ready for prep and paint. The fabricator is Superior glass works in Oregon. They are very experienced in this sort of thing.. In addition to their glass and composite business...they build .. replica car bodies and chassis..So we need a hood and as many folks as we can muster to split mold costs.. (6 guys would be about 700 bucks a hood each) .whadaya think guys?
flyinjohn

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new hood Empty Re: Looking for a new hood

Post by Joe Yannone Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:12 pm

That might be worth it, if you can get enough people to go in on it. I wish I was at home though to go through some photos of my other car. It had a hood that was all fiberglass, there was no steel inner liner on it and it was pretty robust. Anyone else ever see that?
Joe Yannone
Joe Yannone

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinjohn Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:20 pm

I don't think any have a steel liner that I know of?Mine has two skins the outer and the inner. What we need is a "donor" hood with a scoop to make the mold, preferably one that needs to be painted. It can be reused, but might experience a bit of "wear" while being utilized.
I thought you (or this site) may have contacts of enough folks that might want the scooped hood. I think you and I are two so far!

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Have you guys also contacted the guys that stayed with the yahoo group? Just a thought
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new hood Empty Hoods with hair scoop

Post by Joe Yannone Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 am

I just got a quote from Phil Overall for 245GBP ($350 USD) for the hoods and 80 GBP ($114 USD) for the small grill in the hood scoop. He also told me the molds for them were taken from the US ones so they WILL fit.
If we can get a few people together we can have them shipped together to save $$$.
Joe Yannone
Joe Yannone

Back to top Go down

Post by flyinjohn Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Got the same quote. Pretty exciting, Phil is double checking sizing just to be sure. Not sure how to save $$ on shipping I am in California where are you Joe? I think duty is another cost as well, any idea on that cost?
Anyone else need a hood with scoop?

flyinjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Yannone Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 am

I am in Cincinnati OH John but the price is a bit steep for me, I ran it down for a couple of others. I may just put a cobra scoop on mine and open up the louvers since I have to repaint whenever I do it anyway.
Joe Yannone
Joe Yannone

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry B Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Count me in. I would love one with a scoop. Terry B. Let me know what I need to do. I m a Pa. boy

Terry B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down