Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations

3 posters

Go down

Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations Empty Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations

Post by Panther Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi,

Still having trouble narrowing down either a new Radiator, and or an
Electric Fan(S) shroud.

Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's kind of hard to match up with the outlet being apparently so near the crossmember ???

Also would nesting one of these up against the back of the radiator and use the Hold Down
Clamps holding the radiator cause any issues or hurt the radiator ???

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Take Care,
CK

Panther

Back to top Go down

Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations Empty Re: Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations

Post by Hotrod Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 pm

Take a look at these.  The fans you listed have shrouds that are too shallow and don't have large enough motors to move a lot of air.  The links below are from a company that I have experience with.  The shrouds are heavy molded plastic that can be trimmed to the minimum sizes shown.

The last one may work fine for you without a shroud, if you can stand the height.  Even if the fan hangs off the bottom, you could just block that small section. At 17" you will have nearly all of the core covered.  Make some brackets that mount it nearly touching the radiator core.  The Cooling Components rep told me they have had better results using one large fan than 2 smaller fans.

This controller would be acceptable with a 60 amp relay.  Must use a 60 amp relay, trust me.  Might could use 2 40 amps relays.  The motors on the CC fans will pull nearly 60 amps on start up.  I have measured this with an ammeter.  They run at 40+ amps.  

This controller is much better, but much more expensive.  No relay needed.  I've used this one.

It takes power to move air.  It takes a lot of power to move a lot of air.  A low amperage motor is not going to make a lot of power regardless how many CFMs the manufacturer claims.  Spal fans do have performance curves available online to get an idea of the amp/cfm relationship.  Spal is widely considered top of the line for aftermarket fans.  They supply OEM fans for some pretty exotic cars.

One downside to the large motors is that you might have to upgrade your alternator to a higher amp unit.  I have ran these fans on my 46 coupe and had to install a 150 amp alternator.

Last edited by Hotrod on Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotrod
Hotrod

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations Empty Re: Radiator or Electric Fan(s) /Shroud Recommendations

Post by Panther Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:32 pm

Thanks so much Mike,  I am a little surprised that the ones I listed wouldn't move enough air , as they were for "supposedly" cars with up to 390hp ?  

It's funny in all my searching for the last couple of weeks I never saw that company or it's fans ;-)  So, I really appreciate the link and I like being able to trim it to exact measurements.  

Do you use these ? I was wondering how they attach or would they be able to use the "Hold Down" brackets on the Griffin Radiator ?

Also, I feel like Columbo sometimes......................with the amperage draw , sounds almost
like I might need a bigger more powerful alternator to run the fan and other things. I don't have
A/C but still normal other accessories.

Thank You again, Take Care,
Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:40 pm

I was editing the post while you were answering.

Yes, unless you already have a high amp alternator, you will need to upgrade.  An old school 60 or 70 amp unit will not keep up. I wound up with a 150.

Yes I have ran these fans before.  They are about as good as you are going to get from the street rod aftermarket.  

As with pretty much any aftermarket "universal" fan and/or shroud, mounting will be up to you.  The only bolt in parts I've seen are made for very specific applications.  Like muscle cars.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:26 pm

Thanks So Much Mike, being a 70 yr old Rookie is kind of hard
but I'm trying.............well some have said that for years Very Happy

It's just so hard to know what's right or what size without have the Radiator out and actually seeing the mounting and whole area.
I remember Jerry writing about the steering column and didn't
see, well actually "feel" it down on the lower right ;-)

Knowing you've used them and they took care of that engine I would think that would be great for the MX as well.
On the temp probe do you like Radiator Probe better than the Temp Sensor ?
Thanks and Take Care,
Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:53 pm

I second what Hotrod said about Cooling Components fans. I use their fan and controller on my Sebring and previously on a 450hp '34 Coupe with great success. In both instances they were attached to a custom built radiator that included mounting provisions for the fan. I use their temp probe and their 2-speed controller. The CC fans typically have enough extra material around the edges to be able to screw through to something in your car with a little bit of enginuity.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Thanks very much, with what you and Mike have said sounds like a great and powerful set up. From what
I've been able to see the trimming part is one of the key features that make it work for my car. I wished they had better pics or drawing showing the dimensions and how much can be removed and where.

Also, good to know about the controller, is that the one that that Mike Linked in ???  Sounds like a great combo and reliable as that's such a main concern now,  LOL I can't push cars around like I used to. ;-)
Thanks again, Take Care,
Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:56 pm

When you look at the various fan/shroud combinations at Cooling Components if you subtract the minimum and maximum dimensions and divide by two you get close to what the available flat area around the outside is to either trim smaller or use to bolt through. The controller that I use is the 2-spd that was previously linked to. That controller may be more expensive than other options but it greatly simplifies wiring, eliminates separate relays and temp probes and is completley waterproof.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:09 pm

AHSebring64 wrote:When you look at the various fan/shroud combinations at Cooling Components if you subtract the minimum and maximum dimensions and divide by two you get close to what the available flat area around the outside is to either trim smaller or use to bolt through. The controller that I use is the 2-spd that was previously linked to. That controller may be more expensive than other options but it greatly simplifies wiring, eliminates separate relays and temp probes and is completley waterproof.

Hello,
That's great about the Controller some that I'd looked at while very good reviews looked
like a lot of chance of problems and like you and Mike said it's built solid, does away with having
a temp sending unit in the block or radiator. Simple is best for me !!!

My real issues with any of these fans and shrouds is the outlet position, it's 6.5" up from the bottom
of the radiator and one fan that hits right at the bracket location and another one it's at the attaching
point from fan to backing plate. I'll see if I can attach a pic of the Radiator BP that was in my Document Package.

Thanks again, I so ready to get it going just have to wait for the Shop to have an open bay and
time. Plus, I've ordered new Tires so waiting on those to come in. ;-)

Take Care,
Craig[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:53 pm

Check out Cooling Components "Application Chart" - Fan Shroud #80 but with a vertical bracket. Just cut the shroud for clearance around hose necks.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:48 pm

Thanks I'll check it out,

I didn't find a whole lot of info when I'd looked before.  I'll dig deeper !!!

***Ah Ha*** I didn't see the "Download Chart" before Thanks
Take Care,
Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down