Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear wheel mount problem

4 posters

Go down

rear wheel mount problem Empty rear wheel mount problem

Post by mktrjs3 Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:20 pm

Hoping someone has encountered this and can offer insights. My 87 Sebring has Ford 8 inch rearend. Needed rear differential leak fixed. Shop pulled axle as needed but when all reassembled and they put the passenger side rear wheel back on, the tire was not spinning true-had an up and down (almost elliptical) movement to it. Shop thinks extra long studs used to clear spacers in order to clear flared wheel well don't line up unless you get lucky. Wracking their brains trying to come up with a solution. Anybody encounter this?? Help!!! ASAP

mktrjs3

Back to top Go down

rear wheel mount problem Empty Re: rear wheel mount problem

Post by Hotrod Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:42 pm

Pictures would be needed to be of any real help. What type of wheels? There are are some wheels that have uni-lug patterns that require a washer to fit into a slot on the wheel. If you have that type the washers might be installed wrong. Without pictures that's all I got for now.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by mktrjs3 Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:53 pm

Hotrod-Thanks for your reply. The wheels are the ones that many of the builds have on them--four bolt pattern, black, finned look--they are the wheels most of the build books show on the model car being worked on. Anyway, never saw any washer associated with the lug nuts. Shop guys now think what is needed is hub centric spacers so the wheel mounts in perfect alignment. What do you think??

mktrjs3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:13 pm

Whether that is the issue or not, hubcentric spacers will verify that the wheels are  centered centered to the axle.

Did the shop replace the axle bearings?  Hopefully they didn't somehow bend the axle near the flange in the process.  It would be difficult but not impossible.  An 8" would need the axle bearings removed to replace an outboard seal.  This would need to be pressed on and off.  If heat was used, axle could warp.  Not likely, but still possible.  I have seen axles bent near the flange.  Only way I can think of to verify straightness is to put the axle in a lathe. Or, put a dial indicator on the flange with the axle in the housing.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by mktrjs3 Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:48 pm

Hotrod--Again good stuff in your post. No, no axle bearings replaced. All that was done was repair the differential leak with a new gasket/sealer. The whole thing is a mystery to me.

mktrjs3

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Tungesvick Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:13 am

Passenger side takes the long axle.

Loren Tungesvick

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:39 pm

mktrjs3
Do believe Loren has nailed it.
Explains all the symptoms after all you've eliminated.
Have heard of this from a guy that worked in an old junk yard when he was in high school and thought he knew everything. His job was to assemble rear ends from the left-over parts from different cars. Got his ass chewed for making this mistake.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by mktrjs3 Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:45 pm

Jerry (Loren)-Thanks, I need to talk to my guys about this

mktrjs3

Back to top Go down

Post by mktrjs3 Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:32 pm

OK, owe to you guys to close the loop. The final solution was to use H&R Hubcentric wheel spacers to replace the non hub centric spacers that were on there. Also, replace the studs which were spot welded in and my guys felt were vulnerable. So, maybe this orginal setup was unique to my build, but not the best set of ideas any body has had. Thanks for your responses.. Rich

mktrjs3

Hotrod, Jerry & Lisa Mills and mktrjs3 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down