Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Explanation please for mount design

2 posters

Go down

Explanation please for mount design Empty Explanation please for mount design

Post by Stevez Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:06 pm

I'm working on the MX's rear suspension at the moment. I'm not positive why CR designed the upper coil mount the way they did (bolted on) and the extra hole in the upper control arm mounts. I can guess, but I always learn more when I ask. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Explanation please for mount design Empty Re: Explanation please for mount design

Post by Hotrod Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:31 pm

Ok, I'll try to tackle this, but as I've said before, I don't have an MX.

The spring mounts MOST LIKELY bolt on because the tabs on the chassis were there already.  My 5000 has those same frame tabs and they are used for roll bar mounting.  That meant the Classic only had to add the mounts for the suspension links to the MX frame.  Fewer parts and changes to make.  Just my opinion.

As to the extra holes.  They appear to be there so that you can lower the upper links in the front.  This would increase anti-squat and theoretically increase traction.  That is just my first take, although it looks like they would be a little tight to the bottom of the bracket.  Pictures can be difficult to judge.  At any rate, I probably wouldn't lower the front of the links unless I had adjustable upper links.  Lowering the front mounting point will change the pinion angle by some amount and adjustable links will allow you to compensate.

Now, it is entirely possible that I'm completely wrong.  Again, this is just my opinion.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Explanation please for mount design Empty Re: Explanation please for mount design

Post by Stevez Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Thank you. Makes sense. Since the coil top mount is bolted on it makes it much easier to remove if one is going with a coil over suspension bolted to the shock mounts. That's probably what I’ll do - remove them.
The extra holes in the upper control arm mounts make sense for your explanation.
Thank you

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevez Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 am

It dawned on me a possible reason for the two vertically spaced holes in the upper shock mount. It's possible that in order to obtain the sweet spot of around 14” we have two options in using either hole which are spaced about an inch apart?

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down