Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood Latch Cable

4 posters

Go down

Hood Latch Cable Empty Hood Latch Cable

Post by Tony C Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:26 pm

Does anyone know what cable I need for the hood latch on my Saxon Austin Healey replica? Thnx, Tony

Tony C

Back to top Go down

Hood Latch Cable Empty Re: Hood Latch Cable

Post by Hotrod Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:32 pm

I believe that this is the one I'm using.  It's a little high, but the quality is good.  You won't need all the stuff that comes in the kit, at least I didn't.  You may need to make a bracket of some kind to mount the handle on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you don't want to go that way, you could check out your local U-Pull-It salvage yard.  Just about all modern cars and trucks use some kind of pull cable and nearly all of them will be longer than you need.  Can't help you with a make, model or year.

If you look at the pictures of the Lokar part, you will see that they use a small sleeve with a set screw for a cable end. This operates the hood latch and works well since there shouldn't be a lot of load on it. A salvage yard cable could be shortened and use a similar sleeve.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:16 pm

Just about any cable can be made to work. The cable should be about 6 1/2 feet long. Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they have a round knob and a T-handle that would be easy to mount (plus the round knob has a "B" for "Bonnet" instead of "Hood", very 'British').
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:58 am

I fashioned a setup using a bicycle cable maybe $20. I don’t remember wha I used to fabricate the lever, it works fine, but does not look as nice as the lockar piece and took a few adjustments and some time to get it to work.

Egordon1475

Jimboquick and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down