Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficult Clutch Question

3 posters

Go down

Difficult Clutch Question Empty Difficult Clutch Question

Post by ArthurBNH Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:06 pm

The Saxon that I purchased has an extremely hard! clutch to push in and a fairly short length.  It is non-hydraulic and I find it a bit difficult and my wife finds it impossible.  I am thinking that someone perhaps put in a heavy duty pressure plate or the cable is a problem.  It is abnormally difficult.  Anyone have similar experiences and find a solution?  I am thinking about steps to correct it such as replacing the clutch Including the pressure plate.  It is a slightly upgraded 2.8 V6 with a 4 speed maybe 130 HP. I could fabricate a hydraulic clutch system but right now
But design and part recommendations would be appreciated. You folks have always been so helpful so please chime in with what you think.
Thanks

Thanks
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Difficult Clutch Question Empty Re: Difficult Clutch Question

Post by Hotrod Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:11 pm

Try removing the cable and see if it is binding in the outer sheath.  Check the pedal itself to see if it's bushing is worn out or binding in some other way.  Pulling everything out and lubricating the moving parts may help.    Could also be the clutch arm pivot worn out (or needing some grease) or the throwout bearing binding on the nose of the transmission.

Also, was your pedal arm shortened on the foot side(mine was)?  That would increase the effort required, as would shortening the clutch arm.  Someone may have shortened something to make it fit.

If everything checks out with no binding, then a hydraulic setup may be your only option.  At least you could vary master cylinder bore size to tailor your pedal effort.

Another really expensive option is a twin disc clutch.   They have massive holding power (which you don't need), but a soft (for a high performance clutch) pedal feel.
Hotrod
Hotrod

ArthurBNH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 pm

I'd definitely check the cable first. Mine froze up so slowly, i didn't notice until it broke. That was a fun drive home. Since then, i check it every oil change by disconnecting it at the fork and make sure it moves freely.
Doubt it's a heavy-duty clutch at 130 HP. I'm running a standard clutch at 306 lb ft of torque on the chassis dyno or about 360 at the flywheel. My 120 lb wife can operate it, no problem.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Jimboquick and ArthurBNH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down