Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide

2 posters

Go down

Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide Empty Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide

Post by Stevez Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 pm

I'm not sure my subject line uses correct nomenclature, so I’ll try to explain. I have an MX. It has a 9” inch rear with stock yoke. There are upper and lower control arms with separate coils and shocks on each side. I'm installing a 2015 Mustang 2.3l EB with MT82 six speed trans. The transmission was linked to a two-piece driveshaft that then connects to IRS. I initially considered installing the Mustang's IRS but discarded that idea. So, my question is, what type of one piece driveshaft do I need since I’m using a sprung solid rear axle mated to a transmission that does not accommodate a sliding yoke?
Thank you

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide Empty Re: Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide

Post by Hotrod Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 pm

After a quick internet search I found a little info on the MT82 since I was not familiar with it. I don't think that it is easily converted to an older style slip yoke tailhousing. Apparently, it is a newer design and was intended for use with independent rear suspension, so no slip yoke was needed. But you probably already knew that.

You will most likely need a custom driveshaft with a slip yoke arrangement built into the shaft itself. This is very common on some pickups so the parts to do this are readily available. Here is a page with a picture of what I'm talking about:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

According to a post on the Factory Five Forum, you will need to change out the output flange on the trans to something that will accept a regular universal joint. These parts must be available, since at least one person stated that they had done this.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide Empty Re: Driveshaft conversion - sliding to non-slide

Post by Stevez Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:36 am

Thank you! Yup, custom. Always reassuring when someone else has done it and lived to write about it.

It was something that didn't occur to me initially for this swap. Perhaps, if this type of swap becomes more common, we might see the aftermarket folks jump in. So, before I progressed much further I thought I’d better ask if anyone had done this. More succinct, was it feasible? I'll check with a driveshaft shop as well.

As always, thank you Hotrod, and others on this site, for your generosity in sharing your time and knowledge. Much appreciated!

Stevez

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevez Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Picture (hopefully) of drive shaft from a Jeep. CV joint (technically “double cardan”?) would also help in the event I don't line everything up perfectly. Very Happy

Stevez

Hotrod likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down