Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

transmission conversion / auto to manual

4 posters

Go down

transmission conversion / auto to manual Empty transmission conversion / auto to manual

Post by 1960AH Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:26 pm

My Sebring has a C4 ford automatic transmission. I would like to convert to a manual 5 speed. Any recommendations on where to start: clutch pedal assembly etc.

1960AH

Chrisj357 likes this post

Back to top Go down

transmission conversion / auto to manual Empty Re: transmission conversion / auto to manual

Post by Chrisj357 Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:12 am

There are countless equipment options on line as far as pedals and such. I do have one recommendation for you. Go with hydraulic operated salve cylinder rather than a cable since you have a “clean slate” to start with.

I have a Tramec 5 speed and really like it. Especially the overdrive (5th) very low RPMS at highway speeds.

Chrisj357

Hotrod and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

transmission conversion / auto to manual Empty Re: transmission conversion / auto to manual

Post by Egordon1475 Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:55 pm

Having made the conversation myself, I also recommend aftermarket pedals and hydraulic clutch.
I did not do either and wish I would have gone that direction. Much more fun to drive as a 5 speed.
Depending a number of factors the fiberglass around the pedal mounting area may need to be reinforced. (Just my opinion). If you want to chat I’m happy to share my #.

Egordon1475

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:10 pm

Here is a picture of floor mounted race pedals.  The flat floor of the Sebring would lend itself to this mounting style.  I wish I had looked further into this type of setup on my car.  Not sure if you could get them far enough forward with the master cylinders inside the car, but the pedals could be shoved against the firewall and the MC's mounted on the other side.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is just a suggestion and I have no idea if it could be made to work.  Tilton has dimensioned drawings in PDF format on their website.  You could build a rough approximation out of cardboard or wood to check.

This is a Miata and the interior size is similar to our cars.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down