Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveshaft Harmonic Balancer?

2 posters

Go down

Driveshaft Harmonic Balancer? Empty Driveshaft Harmonic Balancer?

Post by Jeff Richards Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Here's the new guy again with another question. I needed to change the tailshaft seal in my BW T5 and found the driveshaft has a large, heavy harmonic balancer incorporated into the front yoke. Do your cars have this? Do you think it would be ok to get rid of it and use a standard type yoke? I have a photo of the things but I don't know how to put it here for others to see.

Jeff

Last edited by jwr1347 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft Harmonic Balancer? Empty Re: Driveshaft Harmonic Balancer?

Post by Terry Crist Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:19 pm

I have seen that type of thing before on really old farm trucks but never on one of these types of cars.

If it were me I would take it to a drive shaft company and ask them. Maybe have a new drive shaft made without one and see what the difference is.

The thing is that these cars have such a short drive shaft, it might actually help.

If there is someone close to you that has the same running gear as you but with a regular drive shaft might want to help out and do a drive shaft TEST swap to see what the difference is.
Terry Crist
Terry Crist

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Crist Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Ok, reading up on this it looks like they use this to get rid of harmonic vibrations. Mostly on vehicles that have long drive shafts though.

Terry Crist
Terry Crist

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Richards Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks Terry. I have ordered a regular yoke and intend to take the driveshaft and new yoke to a driveline shop to talk to them about pro/ cons of switching it out. I'll let the forum know what I find out.

Last edited by jwr1347 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Richards Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:56 am

The driveshaft shop said the balancers are used primarily for long driveshafts to damp harmonics that can occur with them. They said it should not be necessary on our short driveshafts. So they installed the standard type yoke and rebalanced it. Turns out it was not balanced well before AND that balancer on mine had deformed causing it to wobble! This was likely causing the tailshaft seal leakage problem I had and creating a lot of vibration. I believe both to be true because now the leakage is gone and there is a noticeable change in the drivetrain "smoothness" driving down the road.
Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Crist Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Great that you have it fixed. Thanks for the update.
Terry Crist
Terry Crist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down