Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire spacers

2 posters

Go down

Tire spacers Empty Tire spacers

Post by jghowes77 Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 pm

I am planning on buying a 1988 Sebring Healey 3000 but the seller wants to get the tires replaced before we complete the sale to avoid any liability since the car has been sitting for 22 years. The other repairs related to the long sit can be handled later and will be worked into the price but I have to wait on this. The mechanic is having issues replacing the tires due to something special regarding spacers in the wheel well or something like that. Does anyone understand what he's talking about and if so do you know where I might find the part(s) needed myself to speed this up?

Thank you.

jghowes77

Back to top Go down

Tire spacers Empty TimLee

Post by TimLee Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Not certain how much I can help, but here goes. I assume (we know what that means)
that he is talking about spacers on the brake drums/disks to space the wheel rims and tires out further in the wheel wells.
I am aware of two different type spacers. The wheel rims on the car are likely bolted to either the drums/disks with the spacer between the brake drum and what would be the back of the wheel rim OR the spacer is bolted to the brake drum and then the the spacer has studs that the wheel rim mounts onto. If he as the original wheel rims and tires, have him match as closely as possible the tire size on the car right now.
Another possibility is that the car does not have spacers, but adapters. Adapters are used to convert from one wheel format to another. For example, many of the Mustang rear ends had a 4 lug bolt pattern, but folks wanted to run a 5 lug pattern (more wheel designs options available), so the adapter bolted to the brake drum (with 4 lugs) and the adapter had 5 holes (or more often 5 studs) to mount the 5 hole wheel rims and tires.
In any case regardless of spacers or adapters, there should not be a fitment problem, as long as the new tire "footprint" is not wider than the old one.
Lee

TimLee

Back to top Go down

Tire spacers Empty Re: Tire spacers

Post by jghowes77 Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:18 pm

It appears that they worked it out but it's good to know for the future. Thanks.

jghowes77

Back to top Go down

Tire spacers Empty Re: Tire spacers

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down