Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumper overiders

3 posters

Go down

Bumper overiders Empty Bumper overiders

Post by Duehew Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:20 pm

Has anyone removed their bumpers and put Sprite overiders in their place???
If so what did you use for brackets?? Thank you.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Bumper overiders Empty Re: Bumper overiders

Post by Hotrod Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:28 am

Yes, I did it on my car. The correct overrides as per Healey Rally cars are the early 59ish parts. They are available reproduction.

The brackets I made out of simple flat bar that I bent and welded. I'll try to find some pictures.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Duehew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:53 am

I made the brackets out of 3/16 x 2 (might have been 1 1/2) flat bar.

I believe the correct overriders are the 59-61 Sprite parts.  They mount with 8mm bolts if memory serves and they already have threaded inserts installed.  I made some short studs because it was easier to start a nut in the tight space than a bolt.

The brackets have to have a bend in them as the mounting surfaces in the overrider are not flat.

The front brackets are simple.  Just the bend to fit the overrider and 3 drilled holes.  Two for the overrider and one for the body mount bolt to pass through.  They mount more or less straight up and down.

The rear brackets are more complicated in that they need to be angled to match the body lines.  I made these by welding two pieces together to get all the angles right.

Here are a few pics.  Sorry, I couldn't find any with pictures of the brackets themselves.  If you need, I can remove an overrider in the front and rear and take a picture of just the bracket.

This is looking down on the rear overrider.  They have to be positioned low enough to allow the trunk lid to open.  Mine just clear with a little room to spare.  I also shortened the aluminum body sleeve to pull the overriders in as close to the body as I felt was practical to allow getting them bolted on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This shot shows how the rear overriders are rolled back slightly to match the body.

Here are a couple of shots to show what they look like installed.

Let me know if you need more info.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Duehew, sky25t, Jerry & Lisa Mills, Chrisj357 and Bespoken like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Thank you for the info and pics.
Duehew
Duehew

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by D'Ville Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:45 pm

Thanks for the post!!! sure will give me some to work on [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

D'Ville

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down