Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BUMPER APRONS

3 posters

Go down

BUMPER APRONS Empty BUMPER APRONS

Post by Joltin Joe Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:05 pm

Anyone ever added an apron? Just to clarify, the strip of sheet metal that sits between the chrome bumper and (front and/or rear) shroud(s).
They're designed to cover the two spring bar assemblies that support the bumpers. I'm not sure I want to do this, as the two "bars" that do this supporting aren't all that offensive.
OEM A-H aprons are relatively cheap (compared to most everything else). Bare metal replacements are under $100.
I'm more curious than anything else, so what say ya'll?

Joltin Joe

Back to top Go down

BUMPER APRONS Empty Re: BUMPER APRONS

Post by Hotrod Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:26 pm

I've seen pictures of one Sebring that had been fitted with original Healey bumpers. It had the aprons fitted. It looked fine.

I don't know how they would look with the Sebring bumpers.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jimboquick and Joltin Joe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joltin Joe Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:35 pm

I have a Saxon. Which brings up another point. In the CR build manual, under the "rack and pinion installation" section, it makes mention of the Mustang II assembly fitting "as is" in the Sebring and MX.
HOWEVER, when installing one in the Saxon version, the builder is required to "cut off 3-1/2 inches from the end of the rack shaft."

Mike, you once pointed out that "our cars" were nearly 4" wider than the BJ7 / BJ8 Healeys. But when I measured my own car for the BJ8 dash I built, the difference was less than an inch on each end.

The inside the cockpit width door card to door card in my Saxon is 50" exactly. If someone could give me the same measurement in a Sebring or MX (preferably both), it may resolve this issue, with me anyway.

Joltin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:26 pm

My 1990 Sebring is exactly 49 1/4"

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Joltin Joe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joltin Joe Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks, Jerry, sounds like the Saxon and Sebring are the same.

Joltin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Joltin Joe Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:35 pm

Jerry, went back out to the shop and took an exact measurement. It is 49 1/4" ... When I took it the first time, I added 3/4" for the dash top padding.
Thanks, again

Joltin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down