Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Steering Hoses

3 posters

Go down

Power Steering Hoses Empty Power Steering Hoses

Post by robert.frey51@outlook.com Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:33 pm

All,

Will hoses that fit a GM power steering pump fit a Ford '82-'88 High Flow T-bird power rack design.

Simply put, are the fittings universal or are they different form Ford to Chevy?

Thanks in advance.

rob

robert.frey51@outlook.com

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Hoses Empty Re: Power Steering Hoses

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:15 pm

Got involved in that nightmare once trying to help a friend. Yes, they can be the same sizes and yes they can be different and worse case, depending on years, they can be metric. Took both items to a shop that builds new hoses to figure out the fittings. Put back on the car and made a wire template with bends and length. Had hoses made and he installed them. Then the nightmare began. He did not research the flow and pressure for both pieces. Blew the seals on the power steering box and had to start over.
If you have a place nearby that makes hoses, I'd start there.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by robert.frey51@outlook.com Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:06 am

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a hose manufacturer now.

rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:26 am

Check with local parts places like NAPA.  Some can make up hoses.  Other options would be farm equipment and heavy equipment service places.  They often have the tools and equipment to make up hydraulic hoses.

This is a kit that allows you to make your own hoses.  I'm not saying this is the kit you need.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This would be a "Cadillac" type of kit and is probably overkill for your needs.  Simple rubber/steel reinforced hydraulic hose will serve probably for the life of the car.

In that kit above, there are parts that you may not need.  If you know the actual sizes of the fittings you need, you might be able to order just those and save money.  As I said before, the pressure hose is the only critical one.

The kit uses PTFE (Teflon) lined braided stainless hoses and are good for more pressure than a power steering system should ever put out. These are fairly easy to assemble yourself, but can be tricky if you are not careful.

But, don't worry about the hoses right now. Solutions are available. Gather the rest of the hardware needed. Hoses should be very last thing to tackle since you will need to know the exact fitting sizes on the parts you have.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by robert.frey51@outlook.com Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:34 am

Thanks again Hotrod!

I'm looking forward to getting the car in my shop. First things first, I have to get the horn and wipers working in order to get it inspected. It's a Nebraska car and Kansas requires an inspection to tag it here.

Thanks again.

rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down