Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Austin-Healey Replica Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

17 or 18 inch wheels

Go down

17 or 18 inch wheels Empty 17 or 18 inch wheels

Post by Tinkerer 1967 on Sat May 16, 2020 11:06 am

Looking for options. Saw a set of Mustang Bullet wheels and wonder if anyone has tried them and if so were there any issues. Thanks in advance.

Tinkerer 1967

Back to top Go down

17 or 18 inch wheels Empty Re: 17 or 18 inch wheels

Post by David V. on Sun May 17, 2020 11:36 pm

If you mean the modern Bullitt Mustangs, you'd probably run into an issue with offset/back-spacing. In other words they'll bolt on, but the face of a modern wheel is almost flush with the lip and tire (positive offset), so the bulk of your wheel will go inwards and interfere with brake-lines, frame, etc. Old-school wheels have more negative offset also known as "dish" which is a better fit for our suspension geometry and the position of the mounting face.

Basically if you want it to look right you have to find a wheel that's the correct size, correct bolt pattern and correct back-spacing, and also fits a decent tire. Can be very challenging.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkerer 1967 on Mon May 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info. The current wheels have about .866 offset as you describe. They seem to fit well but I was trying to get a little more tire under the rear. I guess I will have to measure and see what I can come up with

Tinkerer 1967

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down