Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sebring MX soft top frame

3 posters

Go down

Sebring MX soft top frame Empty Sebring MX soft top frame

Post by spatt Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I have been reading on here that boat yards/shops can make soft tops for sebring mx's. I am looking for a frame or soft top (can be torn etc...) to install on my 1989 classic roadster sebring mx. Does anyone know if these can be purchased? Also, I am going to the Carlisle and Hershey PA car shows in a few weeks. Both have huge swap meets. Does anyone know of any other soft top frames (MG, Triumph etc...) that might fit on my sebring mx? Thanks jeff

spatt

Back to top Go down

Sebring MX soft top frame Empty Soft top

Post by DrJ Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:47 am

The width of our cars as measured from the outside window posts comes in around 48" which is wider than those of an MG, Triumph or Healey so their tops will not work for you. The actual soft top frame is reasonably simple to make and attaches to the pillar aft of the door with common boat hardware. Not long ago I stumbled on a marine web site that featured the attachment hardware, I may have saved it to favorites and will look for it. The balance are two formed tubes and a spline that inserts into the groove in the front top of the windshield frame.

Boat shops are pretty comfortable with fabricating tops for a multitude of custom applications. You could simply search for a local marina that advertises such services and get a quote. They could build the frame as well. Building your own frame is a matter of buying some aluminum tube of the correct diameter, a pipe bender from Lowes and the fittings. We could probably help define for you the basic shape of the tubes but you will need to tweek it to work. Then you are only paying for the soft top itself. They could certainly make the top cover for you as well if you desire.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Sebring MX soft top frame Empty Re: Sebring MX soft top frame

Post by spatt Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:56 am

Thank you Dr J. Your response is very helpful.

spatt

Back to top Go down

Sebring MX soft top frame Empty Soft top: But wait there is more

Post by DrJ Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 am

Take a look at:

mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com

Click on their "convertible top section"

Search out the following:

SSK5004-269 These are sample aluminum bows for an MG but are essentially what yours will look like. Again theirs may be to narrow so we will need to get you some dimensions;

SSK269-4674966825 These look like the exact units that mount to our car bodies and accept the tubes. You would need two;

MG-SSK269762538 These look like the exact parts that connect that bow to the body mount referenced above and permit movement of the top up and down. You need two;

MG-26683784253-867 This looks to be the Lexan spline you would need sewn into the top that fits the windshield groove.

They have lots of other parts that may be useful but that essentially gets you all the fittings you need. As I said the bows they offer may not work, you would have to call them and get the widths. If that looked good you could always cut the heights to fit if required.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aronhk_md Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Hey Jeff, just an FYI...most of the boat canvas shops can make you a frame as well as the canvas itself. They make all the aluminum frames for bimini tops and enclosures. It helps if you get some pictures of tops and frames from everyone here and show them.
aronhk_md
aronhk_md

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down