Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light Front End

5 posters

Go down

Light Front End Empty Light Front End

Post by Panther Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:19 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of y'all have trouble /issues with the Front End getting really
Light when on the Freeway or up in the 60-70-;-) mph range ??? I have manual steering and
have new front shocks, and the steering wheel is so touchy at higher speeds. I was wonder if y'all have
had this and if so any suggestions on getting a little more down pressure I'm guessing.

I have Cooper Cobra 215-65-15's on the front with 28 psi, I didn't know if dropping air pressure
would make any difference.

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig

Panther

Chrisj357 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Light Front End Empty Re: Light Front End

Post by Chrisj357 Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:20 am

I also have Cooper Cobras at 28#. Mine are 235/60/15 in the front. The steering is what I call very responsive.

Mine however seems to mellow out with speed. Very stable at 80mph which is the fastest I’ve been so far.

Maybe since your tires are a tad skinnier running 25 or 26 psi in front might improve things.

Chrisj357

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:47 am

Here are a few things to check that might help.  

Front end alignment.  Because these cars are so different than the Pinto's and Mustang II's that the front suspension came from the Ford alignment specs might not work well.  Classic Roadsters designed in some extra caster, but that doesn't mean that whoever did the alignment didn't just adjust it back out and use stock MII specs.  The original MII only had about 3/4 degree of positive caster, but it also had more weight on the front end than a Sebring.  Most performance orientated alignment specs I've seen for street rods with MII front ends recommend at least 3 degrees positive.  More caster will give the car a stronger "center pull" at speed.  The caster should be the same on both sides or very close.  The car will tend to pull toward the side with more caster. More caster will also increase steering effort at all speeds.

Toe in.  Make absolutely sure you don't accidentally have toe out.  Toe out will tend to make a car twitchy.  I think the specs for the MII was around 1/8 toe in.

Make sure the rearend is square in the car.  It's probably not far off, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:49 am

Chrisj357 wrote:I also have Cooper Cobras at 28#. Mine are 235/60/15 in the front. The steering is what I call very responsive.

Mine however seems to mellow out with speed. Very stable at 80mph which is the fastest I’ve been so far.

Maybe since your tires are a tad skinnier running 25 or 26 psi in front might improve things.

Thanks Jeff,

That's something I might try !!!

Take Care,

Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:56 am

Hotrod wrote:Here are a few things to check that might help.  

Front end alignment.  Because these cars are so different than the Pinto's and Mustang II's that the front suspension came from the Ford alignment specs might not work well.  Classic Roadsters designed in some extra caster, but that doesn't mean that whoever did the alignment didn't just adjust it back out and use stock MII specs.  The original MII only had about 3/4 degree of positive caster, but it also had more weight on the front end than a Sebring.  Most performance orientated alignment specs I've seen for street rods with MII front ends recommend at least 3 degrees positive.  More caster will give the car a stronger "center pull" at speed.  The caster should be the same on both sides or very close.  The car will tend to pull toward the side with more caster.  More caster will also increase steering effort at all speeds.

Toe in.  Make absolutely sure you don't accidentally have toe out.  Toe out will tend to make a car twitchy.  I think the specs for the MII was around 1/8 toe in.

Make sure the rear end is square in the car.  It's probably not far off, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure quite a few of the suspension bushing and setting are "original" I know that the
A-Arm Bolts were somewhat loose when I'd had the tires off and some Brake Work being done.

It seems to "track straight" but again it gets very loose and "twitchy" is a good word. I feel sometimes
when I was on the Highway if I moved the wheel 1" I'd be going off the road, exaggerated but ..........
kind of how it felt.

I've been thinking of having all the front end bushings replaced, and then it sounds like the perfect time
to have all the alignment done. The Guy that's been doing the Work for me said there's a really good
Shop that does their Race Cars and other cars.

Appreciate your help as always !!! Take Care,

Craig

Panther

Back to top Go down

Light Front End Empty Light

Post by Loren Tungesvick Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:45 am

I was searching for traction on my MX so started dropping tire pressure, found grip at 18psi. Noticed ride quality was easier at 18 so went to fronts, 22psi in 215/65s allowed full tread contact which got away from being twitchy. Did the same on my 5000 with good results, think it could use new rear springs though. Springs do age out. Alignments were done at local body shop to MII specs. Always check bolt torque after alignment (had one slip).

Loren Tungesvick

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:57 pm

Loren Tungesvick wrote:I was searching for traction on my MX so started dropping tire pressure, found grip at 18psi. Noticed ride quality was easier at 18 so went to fronts, 22psi in 215/65s allowed full tread contact which got away from being twitchy. Did the same on my 5000 with good results, think it could use new rear springs though. Springs do age out. Alignments were done at local body shop to MII specs. Always check bolt torque after alignment (had one slip).

Hi Loren,

Thanks very much, I think I'll give that a try, Jeff had suggested the same thing.
It's certainly an easy test to drop it a couple pounds for each try. I am going to try and having New Bushings put in over the Winter so will have an alignment done then.

Thanks again !!!

Take Care,
Craig

Panther

Loren Tungesvick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:10 pm

I'll second what Loren says.
Been running 22psi front and rear for 20+ years on 3 sets of 215/60-15.
Always even wear and never felt twitchy.
Sweet spot is 80-85 mph. Smooth as a short wheel
base car can be.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Loren Tungesvick and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:21 pm

Jerry & Lisa Mills wrote:I'll second what Loren says.
Been running 22psi front and rear for 20+ years on 3 sets of 215/60-15.
Always even wear and never felt twitchy.
Sweet spot is 80-85 mph. Smooth as a short wheel
base car can be.

Thanks Troublemaker !!! Appreciate it Jerry,

I'll give that a try, certainly can't beat the price ;-) I am going to
try and get new Bushings this fall.

Take Care, Stay Cool ;-)

CK

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content