Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seats and doors fit

3 posters

Go down

seats and doors fit Empty seats and doors fit

Post by JOE Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:28 am

I'm  building a 5000 and it seems as the seats need to bolt directly to the floor so there's enough room to get past the steering wheel am I correct? also one door fits well but the other door has a big gap which I can't seem to adjust out anyone else have ill fitting doors?

JOE

Back to top Go down

seats and doors fit Empty Re: seats and doors fit

Post by AHSebring64 Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:31 pm

The seats do bolt to the floor. To allow my seats to lean back a little more, I made mounting brackets from aluminum angle that raised the front edge of the seat.

Are you building your 5000 from a kit or modifying an already assembled car? The door gaps are established when first mounting the doors and body. There is only a little adjustment possible with shims and elongated holes after the fact. Take a look at the assembly manual on this site if you haven't already. You always have the option of doing a little fiberglass work to fine tune body alignment.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Jerry & Lisa Mills and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JOE Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:56 pm

I bought about 1/2 done and the doors weren't hung. I have the pretty much adjusted so I guess I'll have to go to the MARGLAS !!!! thanks for the info

JOE

Back to top Go down

Post by SaxonFord Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm

JOE
I can relate to you door gap problems. When I was fitting my doors the first time I had an 1/2" gap in the front of the passenger side door, so I fixed it... I recently got a new front end and now it's tight on that side and I'll fix it again. It would be difficult to get one of these cars to have perfect gaps, and door gaps ARE one of the things snobby people at car shows like to point out, I say F those people. Also if you look at an original (un-restored) Healey you will see that the panel fits and gaps on those cars where quite bad. People who really love cars can get over some warts.
SaxonFord
SaxonFord
SaxonFord

Jerry & Lisa Mills, Panther, Bespoken and JOE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JOE Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:35 am

I agree with you and I know the bodies aren't top of the line so you have to expect to have to work on the bodies. I build my cars for me and I drive them, don't do car shows . I just hate bad gaps !!!!!!!!!!!!

JOE

Panther and SaxonFord like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down