Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting Window Alignment

3 posters

Go down

Adjusting Window Alignment   Empty Adjusting Window Alignment

Post by ArthurBNH Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am

I have one window on the drivers side that is 1/2 inch or so away from the windshield frame at the top. After looking at the build manual it looks like this can be adjusted inside the door. I want ti make sure that is correct before i take the door apart.
Thanks
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Adjusting Window Alignment   Empty Re: Adjusting Window Alignment

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm

Is the 1/2" gap with or without the weather strip ?
That's about what mine is without.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurBNH Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:11 am

Jerry its about 1/2 away from the weather strip and doesn’t touch it at all
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:07 pm

The Vent window and window track are one piece (as you probably know).  The vent window is bolted to the top of the door and the track is bolted at the bottom (inside door).  At least that was how mine was built.

You could slot the bottom hole that anchors the bottom of the track, but I don't think that will work very well since it will throw the tracks out of alignment with each other and most likely mess up the window travel.  You would also have to shim the vent window on an angle, too.

Sounds like the windshield frame was mounted with the wrong angle, although it seems strange that one side fits and the other doesn't.  The glass certainly won't twist that much.

My car had some separate fiberglass parts attached to the fiberglass windshield frame trim pieces that mounted the gaskets.  If yours has those, you may have to remount them to match the angle of the vent window frame.  You could easily fabricate them if needed.  They were just 90* fiberglass lengths (think angel iron).  I think I still have them.  My new windshield setup doesn't use them.

The only other thing I can think of would be to make a new vent window/track part that matches the existing angle, but that would be a lot of work.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurBNH Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 am

Hotrod Thanks for the help. I figured from the diagrams in the assembly manual that was how they were mounted. I found some broken window glass yesterday on that side and bet that the window was replaced at some time and not put back in quite right, I have a go at opening it up and working on it in the next few weeks. Thanks again
ArthurBNH
ArthurBNH

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:25 pm

Another thought.   You  could  adjust the vent assembly to fit the windshield and then adjust the rear window track to match the new angle.  Not sure what that would do for the window alignment with top though.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down