Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made a cheap hood for a cold air velocity stack

2 posters

Go down

Made a cheap hood for a cold air velocity stack Empty Made a cheap hood for a cold air velocity stack

Post by Pissant Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Good afternoon everyone!
I just wanted to share my latest project. I really wanted a hood scoop for my 302 powered Sebring 5000 and didnt want to sacrifice a hood that I had no way of replacing. After debating making a fiberglass cast I decided it would be easier to just trace and shape the new hood out of a sheet of aluminum from ebay. I orderd a 36" x 48" .080" thick sheet of aluminum for like $100 and some hood pins. I traced to 3000's hood onto cardboard and transferred it to the aluminum. I ended up cutting in 1 inch over and folding it with a bench vice and a mallet to the correct shape and curve. I used some sections of 2x4 as spacers between the hood and hinges so it clears on the back and can swing up and over the tall air cleaner. The air cleaner I ordered was taller than anticipated so no scoop for now but I did have to richen my carb a bit so it seems to be pulling more air for sure. It didnt turn out perfect (I didnt want to annoy my neighbors with any more hammering) but its functional and lighter than the fiberglass by a long shot so I like it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pissant
Pissant

Back to top Go down

Made a cheap hood for a cold air velocity stack Empty Re: Made a cheap hood for a cold air velocity stack

Post by David V. Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am

Cool! nice work with the hammering, it's not the easiest of shapes to make
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down