Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drive position

4 posters

Go down

drive position Empty drive position

Post by westton Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:48 am

Hello
 I am very badly installed in the car, I have the steering wheel too near to me, my arms are completely bent.
Do you also have this problem? Have you found a solution?

Last edited by westton on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

westton

Back to top Go down

drive position Empty Re: drive position

Post by Hotrod Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:28 am

As simple as it sounds, make sure the seat adjuster is allowing the seat to go all the way back.  You may have to remove the seat to make sure.

If your car uses the same seat adjuster as mine, then the seat just mounts with holes drilled through the floor.  You may be able to redrill holes farther back and gain a little more room.  Even 1 or 2 inches can make a difference in comfort.

Next would be the steering wheel.  Is it dished or flat?  There are flat wheels available to fit the Chevy steering column.

It might also be possible to move the entire steering column forward a little, but this might require fairly major work.  There are aftermarket columns made for the hot rod industry available and they are made in many different lengths. This route would require some engineering on your part since it you would probably need a new upper and lower mount, as well as a shorter shaft between the column and steering rack.  This would not be cheap fix.  The columns and shafts are pretty expensive.  Look at Flaming River and IDidit websites.

Of course the Healey was a fairly small car and the classic British sports car seating position was to have the steering wheel close and just about in your chest.  Supposedly, this was to allow more leverage on the steering wheel, since sports cars nearly all came with manual steering.  The Sebrings and Saxons more or less duplicate this seating position.

FWIW - I share your pain. I barely fit in my car and have gone to very extensive structural modifications to gain more room. This included a custom steel and aluminum firewall set further forward and rebuilding the area behind the seats to allow moving them back as far as possible. I also moved the pedal assembly and switched to different seats that sit a little higher. All this has made the car fit me very nicely.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:52 pm

Agree with what Hotrod's said overall.

Not sure how tall you guys are. At ~5ft 11" with relatively short legs/tall torso I fit just fine, though my hair grazes the top a bit and I wish there was a dead-pedal at times. Flat steering wheel is a must (mine is from a Fiero). In driving position, there's about 1.5" between my seat back (stock CR seats) and the carpet of the rear deck.

It must be said that you cannot drive a Sebring or even a real Healey the same way you would a modern car. Hands at 9 and 3-oclock simply doesn't work with the door being so close. I tend to drive with my left hand around 10-11 and my right hand at 4-5 when it's not shifting. Elbow on the window sill at times. Not textbook form, but that's just how it works with old roadsters (even some of the Alfas and Porsches I've been in).
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by westton Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 am

As I said in my presentation I have a westfield seven and an R5 turbo, which are however also old cars, and I am very well installed.
In the Saxon I am so badly installed that I have no desire to ride with it! Even little old women have a more natural position to drive.
The steering wheel is flat so I couldn't gain anything by replacing it. I'll see if I can shorten the steering column or move the pedals to make things better.

westton

Back to top Go down

Post by westton Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:26 pm

I have advanced the pedal box by 6cm towards me and I raised the seat by 3cm. It's much better. Not perfect, but better.
Otherwise I will move the steering wheel back to have the arms less bent

westton

David V. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by angelo01 Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm

I had the same problem, no easy fix for me. Sooo, I replaced the steering column with an
Ididit hot rod column, 2 inch adapter, with a 13" flat dish steering wheel (Momo). Then I
cut out the glass behind the seat and re-glassed it 3" further back. Then I put thinner seats
in (Miata). After adjusting the pedals, I ended up with 6" more room from the steering wheel to me. Much, much better. Good Luck

angelo01

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down