Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seating position

4 posters

Go down

Seating position  Empty Seating position

Post by Rzrxp1000 Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Anyone else have seat all the way back and still sit to close to steering wheel. Any suggestions.?

Rzrxp1000

Back to top Go down

Seating position  Empty Re: Seating position

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:51 am

Hi Polaris,
Have a couple ideas, maybe. Almost all were built with either the Mustang II or the adjustable Chevette column. So, the first thing to ask is which do you have ? My steering wheel is 2" from the top of the dash with a Ford column and a 13" wheel. Maybe someone here could provide their min/max measurements for their Chevy column and if you're lucky, you have one of those that's not frozen, you're done. Cheap, fast and easy.
Second question is what seats do you have ? The kits came with cheap fiberglass buckets with stationary backs and pretty thin upholstery. I put in some high backs that can be tilted. That really helped.
If those two things don't solve your issue then you're going to get into extensive and expensive mods.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:32 pm

+1 on what Jerry said.  Also, check to see if your seats have been mounted as far back as they can be.  Original builder may have been short.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:38 pm

I'm 6ft and also did not fit the way my Sebring was originally constructed. My solution was to get a custom built Ididit tilt steering column with custom steering wheel adaptor that puts my flat-dish 13in wheel just 4 1/2 inches from the dash. I then made brackets to mount my seats as far back as possible and with a little more tilt. I fit comfortably now. The cost was worth it for the column and it was relatively easy to install.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Rzrxp1000 Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:45 am

Thank you for your help

Rzrxp1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content