Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from?

+3
David V.
Hotrod
larhead
7 posters

Go down

Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from? Empty Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from?

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 am

Hello, very new to your site. I bought a Austin Replica 3000 from a used car dealer.  He had very little knowledge about the car and the manufacturer plate is absent.  I believe the car to have been built by Classic Roadsters Fargo, ND.  It has a Ford V6 coupled to a 4 speed.  The engine block #74TM AA leads me to a mid 70's engine used in Mustang II & Capri's.  As I look to refurb this car am uncertain where to look for parts.  The rear shocks are numbered so found them.  The differential and rear brakes are a mystery to me. Rear drums stamped max dia. 7.329" and rear wheel cylinder marked 3/4" (13751). What are they from?
Front steering rack & pinion with disc front brakes - as I try to get new parts am at a loss.

Not sure if this where to start - but figured you guys & gals know these cars.  Thanks  Larhead

larhead

Back to top Go down

Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from? Empty Re: Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from?

Post by Hotrod Thu May 28, 2020 5:21 am

Post some pictures.  Most used Mustang II parts in the suspension, but the MX version used Fox body Mustang rear suspension.  I think the Saxon version used some Chevette parts.  What you have will be easier to identify if we can see it.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from? Empty Re: Classic Roadsters REplica Austin 3000 - Where are these parts from?

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 11:14 am

I am a techno idiot - tried but not sure how Larhead

larhead

Back to top Go down

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 11:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

larhead

Back to top Go down

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 11:19 am

larhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu May 28, 2020 2:22 pm

That appears to be Chevette front suspension.  Not sure about the rear.  You may have a Saxon instead of a Sebring.  Is this a US car or British?

EDIT - Yep, looks like Chevette rear suspension, too.

Last edited by Hotrod on Thu May 28, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 2:31 pm

You have been great. I had no idea what I bought - just liked it. It appears to be a Saxon from info in Database. The rear looks like a Chevette also. The V6 is a 2.8L & 4 speed from Mustang II it appears. Not sure if originally US Thanks

larhead

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Thu May 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Definitely a Saxon. Looks to be in good shape and pretty well built, congrats on your purchase! Sort the mechanicals, stick a front emblem (you can buy them from VictoriaBritish Ltd.) and some Lucas 488 front turn signals (eBay or VictoriaBritish) on it and you'll have a really clean, fun car. Paint is nice (I'm a sucker for blue). Couldn't help but notice the wall flag, do you have a Sunbeam Tiger as well? Shocked
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by larhead Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm

David - it's an illness. Yes 65 Tiger (also blue) at about 70%. Love these cars Larhead By the way great site - just found you

larhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Snunker Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:28 pm

There were some of the Saxon versions built by Classic Roadsters and sold as "factory built" cars. I am aware of at least two in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I would not be surprised if your car was not one of these. Just and FYI, there is a Chevette Owner's page on Facebook, seemed like decent folks. I used it as a reference when I tried to find a new sending unit. (no luck, fixed the one I had)
Snunker
Snunker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony C Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 am

I have a Saxon, Healey replica in super mint condition. I need 3 things, the Oval chrome that surrounds the grill, the hood latch & the drivers side headlight assembly. Is there anyone that could direct me where I can buy these or if they came off a specific donor car?

Tony C

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:34 pm

Hood latch is from a VW beetle. Grill surround you'll have to either buy used from another member or new from Monrob22 who's just started making them (unchromed). Headlight assemblies were (I think) from a 1950s chevy truck but for the life of me I can't recall exactly which year.

Hope that helps some

David
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Hey David V,
Do you know if the VW beetle latch was used on just the Saxton or early Sebrings as well ?
I've only seen the VW Rabbit latch.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Hmm not sure. The early Saxons had a lot of beetle parts, but you're right hood latch on my late 80s Sebring is from a Rabbit.

David
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 pm

If you need a replacement latch, the Rabbit latch is a favorite with street rodders to retrofit to older cars.  Repros are available from street rod suppliers.  However, my experience says you are better off trying to find an original on something like EBAY.  The repros are not up to the original German quality.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snunker Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 pm

Been a lot of years ago, but I think I just pulled something out of a Datsun or Toyota in a junkyard that looked like it would fit and made it work.
Snunker
Snunker

Back to top Go down

Post by Beeker Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 pm

Would be interested in a driving comparison between the Tiger and the Healey when it's finished.

Beeker

Jerry & Lisa Mills likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:39 pm

Would love to see/hear about a comparison. I had a '67 MKII and a couple Alpines way back in the early '70s. Thought having a Tiger would be way cool. Stock 289 with 2bbl and bias ply tires. Lived in Oregon. NOT a good thing (a lot of rain). Smartest thing i ever did (automotive related) was sold it three months later before i wrecked it. Very poor handling car. Sure, it would have been better with proper tires, but radials were still not common then. Details and memories may fad, so yes, please do a modern-day comparison.
Sounds like fun !!!!!

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down