Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine sizes

4 posters

Go down

Engine sizes Empty Engine sizes

Post by sharding Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

Anyone have a big block in their MX? Wondering if a Ford 460 would fit.

Steve
sharding
sharding

Back to top Go down

Engine sizes Empty Re: Engine sizes

Post by Hotrod Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am

My guess is, yes it would fit, but there will most likely be some exhaust issues.  Also, there is not a lot of room with a small block for an air cleaner, so that might be an issue as well.  

The Sebring uses a motor mount system that allows for a wide range engines.  I don't know if Classic Roadsters ever offered a set of adapters for a 460, but they are fairly simple welded parts that could be built easily.  The main problem with this setup is that it takes up a lot of room in a place that doesn't have much to begin with.  This doesn't leave much room for exhaust.  That's why I chose to ditch the CR setup and build my own mounts for the LS engine I'm putting in mine.

Also, I rode in a Cobra replica that had a 460.  It was a footwell scorcher for sure. My feet felt like they were in an oven!  You will need to look hard at some type of good insulation.

Good luck.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by sharding Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Even my 302 throws more heat on my feet than I like! Once I pull the engine, I'll insulate.

Not sure on the BB route, just noticing the gobs of torque a mild 460 build makes.
sharding
sharding

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Big blocks are torque monsters, but they are also very heavy. Something to think about.

That 302 you have can easily be stroked to 347 (I think. Not a Ford guy) and that could also be set up to produce a lot of torque. This route has the advantage of allowing you to keep all the externals that you have now. Really a bolt-in deal.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

"Big Block"-equipped cars just never handle / brake as well as identical, "small block"-equipped cars.
JimboQuick

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharding Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Starting to explore the 400. Big block inches in a small block.
Steve
sharding
sharding

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 am

hmmm... some would say the logical route would be to order a crate engine stroker 302 based on an aftermarket block (I've heard stock blocks can crack)...with say some GT40 heads...and maybe a centrifugal supercharger if budget allows. Would bolt up, save you bucket loads of fabrication (and probably money).

Though I understand wanting to do something unique. Keep in mind that Sebrings are already a touch nose-heavy.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Another factor is your choice of transmission. A 2,400# car doesn't really need a huge amount of torque multiplication if an automatic tranny is your choice.
JimboQuick

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharding Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:41 pm

OK, I given up on the big block and 400. I am now looking at a 351W or 302 based stroker. I want fuel injection, but preliminary measurements look tight on top. Anyone have fuel injection upper/lower intake combos they can share? Also, I am switching the C4 out for a 4R70W, and would love to hear from anyone who has done that.
Steve
sharding
sharding

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down