Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash removal

3 posters

Go down

Dash removal Empty Dash removal

Post by Ddcimino Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Happy New Year guys! My son made me a new dash for Christmas, dose anybody have the instruction manual for the dash install? I need to know how to remove the old one. I really don't want to take off any more than I have to. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks
Dave
Ddcimino
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Dash removal Empty Re: Dash removal

Post by Hotrod Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Not sure if this image will be viewable with enough detail to help but here it is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The dash is supposed to be held in with bolts and washers through the lip of the cowl.  The dash pad/trim covers these bolts.  This will have to be removed for access.  On my car, the dash was held on by wood screws into the dash.  Hope this helps.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Ddcimino Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

thanks Hotrod
dave
Ddcimino
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Dash removal Empty Dash / speedometer upgrade

Post by Lurp3 Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:27 am

I am new to this. Been looking for one of these for years and finally got one. The dash is 30 years old and has some fading ado I would like to either restore or replace. Also my speedometer is not accurate so I ordered a nice GPS version that matches the other gauges well. Now I need to try to figure out how to either remove the speedometer on its own or do the full dash removal now. I was going to preferably do the dash over winter and enjoy driving it for now but would like an accurate speed. Mine bounces all over. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Lurp3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:48 am

If you want to wait until winter, how about downloading a speedometer app onto your phone (providing of course that you have a smart phone).  Not a perfect solution, but it would get you by until you have more free time.

The bouncing speedo could be caused by a dry cable.  It's a pretty common problem with old cars.  They used to make an adapter for a grease gun that hooked up to the cable and allowed you to pump grease all the way to the trans.  I doubt they're wildly available now that everything is electronic and it has to fit you're particular cable end.  Of course, accessing the rear of the speedo to remove the cable is the hard part.  You could  pump it up from the trans end, but you have to be careful not to overdo it and fill the speedo up with grease.

Or, you could Roadkill it and tie wrap or duct tape the new GPS speedo somewhere where it can be seen until you can get it mounted permanently. Shocked Rolling Eyes Very Happy Just kidding, but it would work!
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurp3 Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Does anyone know how to remove the dash top cover. I tried but it seems to be held in place somehow. I removed the rear view mirror but don’t want to force it up unless that’s how it comes off. If I remove this I may be able to see the wood dash mounting devices.
Thanks for the GPS phone suggestion. I am using that as well. Also does anyone know where I can get the chrome caps that go over the front window stands on either side. I am sure I’ve seen them in photos. Mine are painted to match the car but chrome would look nicer

Lurp3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Mine was glued on with silicone, but then again my whole car was pretty much glued together with silicone.  Hard to say how yours is attached.  I plan to reattach mine with industrial Velcro.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurp3 Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks. I’ll give it a bit more pressure and see if it lifts. Did you ever fully remove your main wood dash board. I want to replace my speedometer and clean up some water spots.

Lurp3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Yes. It's laying in my shop right now. It was held in with a few wood screws driven through the fiberglass dash lip of the body. These were covered by the dash pad.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurp3 Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Awesome. I’ll try to get to it this weekend

Lurp3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurp3 Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks. I had to grind off the old flat screen heads as they were rusted on. I will replace with stainless when I reassemble. Does anyone know where to find the Allan key chrome dash metal retainer clips that hold on the heating control. Mine probably could be cleaned and polished but if I can get new bright chrome one that will help.

Lurp3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down