Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zeroing in on suspension upgrades

Go down

Zeroing in on suspension upgrades Empty Zeroing in on suspension upgrades

Post by DrJ Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:51 am

I have been talking with the tech departments of Ridetech and Viking, submitted my weight and measurement data to each and am now weighing their recommendations. Starting at the rear Ridetech is recommending their HQ series CoilOver with a 5.2" stroke shock and a 12" 185 lb spring. Rodney say's that this will generate a good ride and still feel good when I throw her into the corners. The HQ shock is rebound adjustable and the spring is adjustable with a spanner.

Viking recommended their C209 which has a ride height of 13.875 to 15.125" and uses a 12" spring. That comes with either a poly mount or spherical bearings (C209-W). Tyler was talking a 150 lb/in rate but gave a low of 125 lb/in to as high as 175 lb/in. Their shocks are double adjustable which they claim allows the ride to be easily tuned from "comfort" to "handling" up to autocross/racing stiffness. Their springs age adjustable with a spanner for ride height as well.

Regardless of whom I go with some welding and fabrication will be required. I would want to weld a beefier receiver for the top of the unit to the frame. Not sure what to do on the lower end. I could look for an aftermarket lower trailing arm set up for coilovers or weld/box out the bottom of the existing arm to stiffen it while providing some king of attachment point for the coilover.

Any of you been there/dun that?

So there you have it. Some of you have talked to these companies as well or have made the change to coilovers already and any comments would be welcome.

Tyler Mardaus
Viking Performance inc.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rodney Mason
Ridetech
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DrJ

Back to top Go down