Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

suspension

4 posters

Go down

suspension Empty suspension

Post by Ddcimino Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Dose anyone know who makes the coil over kit for the front suspension?
Dave
Ddcimino
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

suspension Empty Re: suspension

Post by Duehew Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:35 pm

QA-1 are on our car. I do not know the part number. I would guess if you called them they probably help you out. Even someone here might know.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:47 pm

I've heard very good things about QA-1, didn't know someone here actually had a set. How are you liking them Duane?

You need to look for the ones for Ford Mustang II front suspensions. QA-1 makes a few different variants (single adjustable vs double adjustable, etc)

Pretty sure it's these ones, but make sure to double check:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*Oops gave you the wrong link, fixed it now.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 pm

We like them. They have the double adjustments and are of the older style with 12 clicks in each direction on each knob. I started at the center of the settings and adjusted a couple times each way until I found one that satisfied me. Still a little rough sometimes but more bearable than with leaf springs. I hate to say it but we each weigh about 250 lbs so yes a little weight in the seats with us. Our car was weighed in 2013 and I think the fuel tank was 3/4 full.

Weight – LF 725 Pounds
Weight – RF 698 Pounds
Weight – LR 615 Pounds
Weight – RR 623 Pounds
Hope this helps.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 pm

It does! Many thanks. Do you have the QA-1s on all 4 corners or just the rear?
I'm surprised how much front bias there is. I'd seen someone else post their corner weight figures (dry) and there was a little bias to the front but not as much. It probably evens out more when someone sits in it though. Does that engine of yours have aluminum heads/intake/waterpump/bellhousing?

I really need to get around to corner weighing mine. An acquaintance had offered to do it for free! Unfortunately my engine had blown itself apart before I had a chance. Maybe in a few months i'll get a chance.
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

suspension Empty Sebring Suspension

Post by DrJ Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:07 am

David posted the suspension analysis work I have been working on for the last year or so. It is about the 4th topic down from the top of the Tech section and is titled "Sebring Suspension Analysis". It contains corner, sprung and un-prung weights, information on the OEM spring and shocks. It goes on to try and show why the OEM suspension is as stiff as it is and what spring rates and shock combinations should be better. I used double adjustable Vi-King coilovers in the rear with 110#/inch springs. The Vi-King shock/spring combo up front still uses the OEM upper spring saddle. Shocks are double adjustable and the springs are 175 #/inch. I also installed upper and lower tubular control arms. Following Hotrods work I welded in upper control arm pivot brackets that allow horizontal bolting rather than the vertical OEM T nut arraingement in slotted holes. Alignment is now done with shims. Also incorporated 4.5* of anti dive in the brackets.

This is still a work in progress but is nearing completion. The new suspension can be adjusted as soft as a 1960's land yacht or stiff enough to liquidfy a kidney. Available travel in the suspension is much improved over the OEM and that actually created some interference complications that I am currently correcting.

I do have pictures of all the mounting brackets I fabricated and subsequently welded to the frame if that helps.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm

We have the QA-1's on all 4 corners. The weight was with the old 305 that had cast iron heads and all except the intake was an Edelbrock performer aluminum.

The engine in the car now is a Jasper 355 with cast iron heads and Edelbrock aluminum performer intake.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:50 am

@DrJ: Your research is already bookmarked for when I do my suspension upgrades. I'm sure it will be indispensable!

@Duane: Good to know! From what I've researched cast iron heads are about 55 pounds a piece and aluminum are about 20 pounds piece. So already the head swap I've done should have taken about 70lbs off the front end. Sure can't hurt
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:14 pm

That head swap sounds great. It is on my bucket list.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down