Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pan hard installation?

2 posters

Go down

Pan hard installation? Empty Pan hard installation?

Post by Stevez Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:53 pm

Has anyone installed a pan hard on your MX's rear suspension? If so, what did you use and how was the installation?
I have a MX with CR installed rear suspension. The face of the rear disc brake hub faces are 2” different from side to side. This could be because of a couple of factors, one of which may be because one of the upper control arm bushings is not centered in its mount. Correcting this may help center the rear diff. The body was never mounted and aligned so that may be a factor as well. But, I’m wondering if it would be worth installing a pan hard, and thus the initial questions.
I do plan on lowering the car and I understand that this could affect symmetry from side to side. So I guess I need to figure that out before considering a pan hard? I have installed adjustable coil-overs on the front. (Will probably need to install an anti-bump steer kit?). When the rear body section was temporarily mounted on the chassis there was a huge (6”), ugly IMO gap between the fender lip and top of tire (17” 45). I will be going to a higher profile tire. The rear coils are about 12” tall. Any recommendations for lowering the rear?
Thanks

Stevez

Joltin Joe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pan hard installation? Empty Re: Pan hard installation?

Post by Hotrod Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:15 am

First let me say that I do not have an MX, but I don't believe a panhard bar will do much good and might actually hurt your performance.

The MX should have a Fox body Mustang rear suspension and that has a triangulated 4-link.  The top links are angled out from the center section of the rear end around 40-45 degrees.  The angled arms literally form a triangle and locate the rear end side to side.  

A panhard bar always travels in an arc.  Obviously, the longer the bar, the smaller the arc, but it is still an arc.  The triangulated Fox suspension wants to move more or less straight up and down.  The panhard bar would be fighting with the Fox suspension and may cause some binding.  The only way the panhard would do any real good would be if the link bushings had a lot of flex.

I think a better plan would be to replace the links and bushings on the rear end with parts that have less flex.  This should tighten up the handling.  As popular as the Fox platform is, I'm sure there are kits available to do this.  I'm sure there are polyurethane bushing kits and adjustable links that are stiffer than stock parts.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are links available with spherical bearings, which would really tighten things up.  The links move in complex angles and arcs and have to be able to move like that or they will bind.  The rubber bushings normally flex for this movement, but that also adds slack.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jerry & Lisa Mills and Joltin Joe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevez Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:40 pm

Ok, as always, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and taking the time to help.

Stevez

Jimboquick, Hotrod, Jerry & Lisa Mills and Joltin Joe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down