Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 stud rims and leaf springs

2 posters

Go down

4 stud rims and leaf springs Empty 4 stud rims and leaf springs

Post by sky25t Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi All,
just digging up some background stuff........ my Sebring has 4 stud rims and leaf springs, does anyone know what year and model of mustangs had this combination of rear end driveline........ my engine was made for a 1978 lincolin so it was not the original engine from the mustang....
RegardsRobert
Australia
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

4 stud rims and leaf springs Empty Re: 4 stud rims and leaf springs

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Hey there Robert,
About 100% sure that would be the Mustang II.
'74-'78 Mustangs with the V8 used the 8" rear end and 4 bolt wheels. There's a really small chance it was a 4 cylinder build with the Pinto rear end, but then it would have different motor mounts and would have blown up by now with your Lincoln engine.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi Jerry,
Thank you for that info..... after doing some internet research i have found there is a identifier tag on the differential housing so I'm going under the backend to try to identify the diff in it......... I was told that all the 4 stud mustangs were 6 cylinder ( from a club member ) but i like to confirm their info.....
My car was a factory build one and i am assuming that it was a V6 donor car otherwise the engine and gearbox would most likely be used in my car.... I am hoping its a 8" rear end.... if its a 7" i will be dissapointed as it will only be a mater of time before i break it.
My research only shows a V6 2.8L and V8 5L in mustang II builds... after 78 they went to 4cyl as well (i think)..... I'm no expert
Thanks
Regards
Robert
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:28 pm

In 1965, all first generation 6 cylinder (in line) Mustangs had 4 bolt wheels and all V8 cars had 5 bolt.
Maybe that's what he meant. ALL the Mustang IIs had 4 bolt wheels regardless of engine. Only the V8 had the 8" diff.
'79 is first year of the Fox body cars. 4cyld- 4cyld turbo-V6-V8 were all available with a whopping 140 horse max. Don't know much about the Fox body cars- -never liked them much, but they sure sold a bunch.
Yes, all cars left the factory with a diff tag. Hope yours is still there, but don't bet any money on it. Casting numbers might help ID it. There is also a series of numbers stamped on the end of the input/pinion shaft, but that's hard to get to unless you have the driveline out.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi Jerry,
That's great info... you seen to know a lot about mustang II, I could not find any info on number of studs on the internet at all.
I'm hoping the tag is still there on the diff housing, then i will go to casting numbers, then photographs to identify (i hope)....
I will post my results when i have been underneath it.....  Mustang II V8's were only 140HP too  Sad
Regards
Robert
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi Robert,
Know some about the running gear, but that's about all.
Have had 4 Mustangs, but the only cool one was a '68 California Special.
The Mustang club we were in holds the world record for the most Mustangs in a parade.
Kinda like the Mustang IIs but don't want one. They did hold some kind of sales record in the early seventies.
It's good you have he Lincoln engine, as the IIs had a weird ass bell housing and flywheel that's just not available.
There's also some detail differences i found the hard way. Things like brake hoses, hand brake and cables come to mind. At least most parts are still obtainable.
Pretty good engineering at the price for the times.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by sky25t Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:45 am

Thanks jerry
My computer died as a Christmas present for me.....
I will post more soon as i get my new pc up and running
Regards Robert
sky25t
sky25t

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down