Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nose location

3 posters

Go down

nose location Empty nose location

Post by phydeaux Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm

how far "on" does the nose of the body go? (it looks as if the radiator supports will interfere with the body and the grille if i put the body all the way back to where the body touches the frame on the bumper brackets.) i can't find anything that tells me when to stop pushing.....

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

nose location Empty Re: nose location

Post by Jeff Richards Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 am

The firewall locates the front clip. Make sure the firewall is installed per the assembly guide, checking all dimensions, then push the front clip back until the lip under the cowl stops against the firewall.
Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards

Back to top Go down

nose location Empty door fitment

Post by phydeaux Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm

still stuck. i have measured the firewall and door hinge bracket twice. they appear to be in the correct locations. the front bodywork is firm against the firewall. the door does has about a 1 inch gap between it and the front fender. all the adjusting screws in the hinge are adjust to the most forward positions. the doghouse seems to tilt up a bit at the rear (1/4 inch or so ) judging by the lower edge and the outrigger rail. the angle of the hinge/bracket appears to match the angle of the rear of the doghouse. is there anything else i can check to see why i cannot get the hinge/doghouse lined up to accommodate the door? (picture looks like the angle is wrong- but it is fine - the door is just taped in - 1 inch away from the doghouse.)

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm

"picture looks like the angle is wrong- but it is fine"

No picture came through.
I don't know what you mean by "dog house".
There's enough of us here to help you fix this no matter what it is. If you can't post pictures here we can PM them through email.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

nose location Empty E-mail

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Home today.
You can e-mail me direct @
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can also do cell phone photos and calls @
503-351-9701

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:48 pm

rechecked dimensions - again - today. firewall is 53-1/4 from rear of outrigger. Door hinge post trailing edge is 43-1/4 from trailing edge of outrigger. front body section is tight against top of firewall. but front body does is not 39 inches from the rear of the outrigger. it is about 40 inches. the missing inch... I cannot move the body section to the rear without removing the firewall. If i move the firewall rearward, the tunnel taper will not match the floor tunnel taper. the firewall fits inside the pass side frame bracket fine. Firewall looks as if it is in the right position. I don't have a clue.

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Richards Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Sorry it took awhile for me to respond. I was seeing this same issue when I was test fitting the body pieces on the chassis last year. I would be inclined to try and moved the firewall and front clip aft a little and move the rear clip forward a little to get the door to fit well. But if the firewall can't move aft, then moving the rear clip forward seems like the only option. Clearly, the dimensions in the guide and the actual frame & body don't match well.
Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

thanks
moving the rear clip is no problem - but the rear clip is positioned to where the door meets the hinge as it should.... in that position, the door does not meet the front clip. the only "fix" i see is moving the firewall back - there will be a sizeable gap on the sides of the firewall - floor tunnel sides - but it will let the clip move enough to gap the door as it should be. (i will also have to modify the radiator support to permit the front clip to go back another inch) it appears the firewall is the root of the problem - as many kits as they made, it's just hard to believe the firewall was cast that far off.....

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by phydeaux Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:38 pm

thanks, finally found it - they say to mount the door - and then move the door post to provide fitment to body.

phydeaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down