Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel tank filler hose

2 posters

Go down

Fuel tank filler hose Empty Fuel tank filler hose

Post by rossakin Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:14 am

I am using a Chevette gas tank with a 1 1/4" outlet which comes straight out of the tank. The hose I have is wire reinforced and won't make a sharp bend for tire clearance. What have members used for a gas filler connector hose. While I am asking what filler cap have you used? My CR filler neck looks pretty cheap and the Chevette not much better. The LeMans flip caps take a 2" hose and that does not match the 1 1/4" hose from the tank.

rossakin

Back to top Go down

Fuel tank filler hose Empty Re: Fuel tank filler hose

Post by Hotrod Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Are you sure it's not 1 1/2"?  I'm pretty sure mine was.  I'm at work right now, but can check when I get home.

You are correct that you probably won't find many aftermarket filler necks in 1 1/4".  I'm changing all my fuel tank stuff, but mine had a fabricated filler neck that funneled down from about 2" to the tank hose size. That would be the easiest thing to do.  Whoever made mine didn't make it very pretty, but it didn't leak and served the purpose of adapting to the small hose.

You can get steel exhaust pipe reducers in several sizes.  It would be simple to fab up a hose reducer out of those parts.  The filler hose shouldn't ever have any pressure, so that's not an issue.  Here's a link to what I mean:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Forming a bead on the ends to help retain the hose would be the most difficult part. A light bead of weld would work OK in a pinch and would never be seen under the hose.

These folks do replacement and streetrod fuel systems.  I've bought form them and had good luck.

FWIW - Mine looked very similar to the 49-59 Chevy truck part that is listed on the page I kinked to.  Even down to the vent connection and rubber grommet.

Mike
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by rossakin Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info. It is a good source of fuel system parts. As someone once said "You white guys over think things". I found that while very stiff the gas hose can bend but wants to go back straight. I bent a 3/8" piece of rebar to the angle I wanted shoved it into the hose and have the angle I need. Now I can use the Chevette tank and filler piece with the included vent hose. Now to find a filler cap that does not look like it came off a Checker cab, back to the Tank guys.

rossakin

Back to top Go down

Post by rossakin Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am

For all things on gas tank filler stuff go to Filler Neck Supply Co. They have all sizes of soft and rigid hose, hose reducers, elbows, filler caps etc. with reasonable prices compared to my local Parker Hose store.

rossakin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down