Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front springs: recommendations? Solved

2 posters

Go down

Front springs: recommendations? Solved Empty Front springs: recommendations? Solved

Post by Bespoken Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:12 am

Like the title says: Anyone have insight on what springs work "best" (very subjective I know) for a 302 equipped Sebring? Mine is a Ford AOD automatic with P/S and no A/C.
For context:
I'm nearing the end of my build. In making my first few tests drives I discovered that the springs that PO had installed were totally unsuited for this setup. They are far too soft. The stance was a bit low to begin with but when encountering dips or during hard braking the front end would dive to the point that the tires would actually rub the tops of the fender liners. Shocks and all suspension bushings are brand new and the car feels very tight and smooth otherwise.
Thinking the nearly 50 year old springs that were already installed must be fatigued I referred to the build manual which says to use the springs from the donor car so I ordered "stock" Moog MII V8 springs (part number 8556). When I went to install I was shocked to find that the installed springs were about 3“ shorter than the replacements. I of course had handled the originals when I replaced all the bushings but had no point of reference.
Anyway I went ahead and installed the new springs, which it was all I could do using a spring compressor. Once installed my Sebring looked like it was ready to go off-roading! The front was a good 3 inches higher than the rear!
I researched and learned that cutting MII coils is totally acceptable, the only drawback being that the springs get stiffer as they're shortened.
It was a pain to experiment but I cut down and installed 3 different times and have left it with these replacements at 12“ tall. The good news is that the diving and rubbing is completely eliminated. The bad news is that front end is still about 1.5" higher than the rear and they ride about as stiff as I want. If I cut them down anymore I'm afraid they will just be too firm.
In looking at Speedway motors, Summit, etc. I see that these MII coils can be ordered in many, many different load ratings. Short of taking the car to a truck stop weigh station to weigh the front axle, I can only guess as to what rating I need.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Bespoken on Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bespoken
Bespoken

Panther and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Front springs: recommendations? Solved Empty Re: Front springs: recommendations? Solved

Post by Chrisj357 Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:12 pm

Not sure if these are the “best” but stance is perfect. Ride is incredible. Handling is crisp and sure bumps can be a little harsh but no diving. If there’s a better driving set up than this here I can’t imagine it’s much better.

I know they are coil over shocks. If you need a brand specific info I can look through my paperwork and see if the PO left details to find

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Chrisj357 on Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total

Chrisj357

Panther and Bespoken like this post

Back to top Go down

Front springs: recommendations? Solved Empty Re: Front springs: recommendations? Solved

Post by Bespoken Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:52 pm

[quote="Chrisj357"]Not sure if these are the “best” but stance is perfect. Ride is incredible. Handling is crisp and sure bumps can be a little harsh but no diving. If there’s a better driving set up than this here I can’t imagine it’s much better.

I know they are coil over shocks. If you need a brand specific info I can look through my paperwork and see if the PO left details to find

Thanks for that info Chrisj. I wondered if anyone was running coilovers and what their thoughts were if so. Good to know!
I've found a set of springs that may work. I went ahead and ordered but if they don't work out, coilovers will be my next step.
Bespoken
Bespoken

Jimboquick and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bespoken Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:14 pm

So I went ahead and ordered some MII springs from Speedway Motors. Speedway was the only place I found that has an MII spring that can be ordered in 25 lb rate increments, from 275 to 425 lbs. I chose the 275 lb, rated at 1200 lb "front end weight".
When the springs arrived I first tried them uncut: way too high. I then cut one coil length and things got promising. Still too high but down significantly, and still "bouncy", so not too stiff. I cut away one more whole coil turn and presto! After bouncing and test driving, the stance is just about perfect (subjective of course). There's no diving during braking and the ride is very nice with good road feel but not jarring in the least and it handles very well.

Rear:

Front:
Bespoken
Bespoken

sky25t, Jerry & Lisa Mills, Panther and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisj357 Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Congratulations. I’m glad you posted these pictures. Mine sits a little lower in the back. The guy that sold it to me said he wanted to raise the rear a little just never got to it. I thought it was fine but now I can see it both ways. I like both attitudes. I’ll have to decide

Chrisj357

sky25t, Panther and Bespoken like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down